[Solved] Help needed with VS code and Windows

gunar.kroeger

[Solved] Help needed with VS code and Windows

Postby gunar.kroeger » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:34 pm

I have installed all prerequisites and the extension through the marketplace, configured according to instructions there and started a project based on the blink example.

When I build the project, I get a "Build Successfully" message.

The 2 issues I have now are:
1- include errors detected
vscode1.png
vscode1.png (196.26 KiB) Viewed 6925 times
vscode2.png
vscode2.png (22.13 KiB) Viewed 6925 times
vscode3.png
vscode3.png (189.63 KiB) Viewed 6925 times
2- when opening the project I am directed to the Onboarding screen every time. I don't know if this is expected or if there is something wrong with the configuration.

I tried uninstalling everything and reinstalling 3 times, with the same results.

I'm really looking forward to using VS code! hopefully it will be a fast and robust development experience compared to eclipse and make!

Thanks
Last edited by gunar.kroeger on Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Running was invented in 1612 by Thomas Running when he tried to walk twice at the same time."

boarchuz

Re: Help needed with VS code and Windows

Postby boarchuz » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:38 pm

1. You need to configure Intellisense. I suggest using the 'compile_commands.json' config described here: https://github.com/espressif/vscode-esp ... URATION.md (make sure you build).

2. There is a checkbox on the onboarding page that says something like "Show onboarding on startup". Uncheck that.

gunar.kroeger

Postby gunar.kroeger » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:25 pm

Hmm I don't understand how to do that, the compile_commands.json is generated automatically when I build the project, so if I replace the contents with the configuration in this link, it gets overwritten with the picture I attached and doesn't solve my issue.

Could you explain this step further?
"Running was invented in 1612 by Thomas Running when he tried to walk twice at the same time."

boarchuz

Postby boarchuz » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:02 am

Don't touch compile_commands.json. Only edit c_cpp_properties.json.

I mean that there are two methods described at that link. I suggest using number 2.

gunar.kroeger

Postby gunar.kroeger » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:13 pm

Aaah that worked!

I see how I should have been able to deduce that, but I suggest clarifying this step or automating it if possible for the next users.

I also had an issue while installing from the marketplace "virtualenv: error: unrecognized arguments: --no-site-packages""

The solution was to run the command "python.exe -m pip install --upgrade virtualenv==16.7.9"
It seems there was already a fix for this issue https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/issues/4744, but it is not applied to the marketplace version.

I think everything is working now. I'll get back with feedback!
thanks for the help