Getting IDF version 4.0-dirty with VS Code marketplace

gunar.kroeger

Getting IDF version 4.0-dirty with VS Code marketplace

Postby gunar.kroeger » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:08 pm

I'm trying to use this function to get version information:

Code: Select all

const esp_app_desc_t *app_desc = esp_ota_get_app_description();
    ESP_LOGI(TAG, "idf_ver = %s", app_desc->idf_ver);
and getting "idf_ver = v4.0-dirty" after installing, configuring, building and flashing with the VS Code extension (windows 10). I removed everything related to espressif in my system before downloading and reinstalling everything through the extension.

opening the esp-idf folder in my git GUI (fork) I see that there are 100 changes. Most seem to be the .py and .sh files. But clicking on them does not show any changes...
Annotation 2020-02-20 200709.png
Annotation 2020-02-20 200709.png (61.85 KiB) Viewed 5899 times
I'm not a big git expert, but I know that I need commit to be unchanged from the v4.0 release version. Can anyone check this?
"Running was invented in 1612 by Thomas Running when he tried to walk twice at the same time."

ESP_Angus

Re: Getting IDF version 4.0-dirty with VS Code marketplace

Postby ESP_Angus » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:10 am

This might be due to line endings (Windows uses a different line ending to MacOS/Linux), which explains why you don't see any "real" changes (Git is seeing the files as changed but VSCode is smart enough to see that there are no "real" changes).

I'll wait for the VSCode extension developers to chime in as they will have a better idea of what is possible for configuring VSCode+Git in this way.

gunar.kroeger

Re: Getting IDF version 4.0-dirty with VS Code marketplace

Postby gunar.kroeger » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:48 pm

I don't know if it's the line endings, I configured git to not change line endings and the issue persists.
Also it's not happening with .c and .h source files. Just in components, docs, examples and tools folder with .sh and .py files and files without extension like tinyxml2
"Running was invented in 1612 by Thomas Running when he tried to walk twice at the same time."