Getting Intellisense working with VC++ (not code)

Kaisha

Getting Intellisense working with VC++ (not code)

Postby Kaisha » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:03 pm

I have an ESP32 project that's getting on the larger side. I use the ESP-IDF and build from the command prompt atm, but I'm using Visual Studio 2019 for editing (not Visual Code). I don't like Visual Code and would prefer to keep using VC++ but as the project gets larger, its becoming more cumbersome.

I don't need to build, debug, or upload in VC++, I can do all that fine from the command prompt. I just need intellisense working so looking up structure contents, autocomplete, finding relevant files, etc... can be done with a click instead of a 15min browse through the esp-idf directory mess.

Anyone have any idea if this is possible and how to do it?

ESP_bignacio

Re: Getting Intellisense working with VC++ (not code)

Postby ESP_bignacio » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:08 am

If there is something we can do to improve Visual Studio Code extension please let us know.

You can take a look to our ESP-IDF Eclipse plugin or explore other IDEs integration users share in this IDEs for ESP-IDF forum.

Kaisha

Re: Getting Intellisense working with VC++ (not code)

Postby Kaisha » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:29 pm

I've never been able to get the Visual Code extension to work. No matter how many times I've set it up, fresh installs, playing with directories, whatever, it always fails.

I also hate Visual Code, so there's that too...

Visual Micro alluded to something in the works, so I'm hoping they come us with a decent solution.