What is the Recommended IDE for ESP-IDF ?

DutchOrange

Re: What is the Recommended IDE for ESP-IDF ?

Postby DutchOrange » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:15 am

Hey Again, So I have Re-Tried again, I went into the log fiels and saw this

Code: Select all

!SESSION 2020-12-30 10:12:17.307 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=4.18.0.I20201202-1800
java.version=15.0.1
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=en_ZA
Framework arguments:  -product org.eclipse.epp.package.embedcpp.product
Command-line arguments:  -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64 -product org.eclipse.epp.package.embedcpp.product

!ENTRY org.eclipse.egit.ui 2 0 2020-12-30 10:12:23.823
!MESSAGE Warning: The environment variable HOME is not set. The following directory will be used to store the Git
user global configuration and to define the default location to store repositories: 'C:\Users\User-Pc'. If this is
not correct please set the HOME environment variable and restart Eclipse. Otherwise Git for Windows and
EGit might behave differently since they see different configuration options.
This warning can be switched off on the Team > Git > Confirmations and Warnings preference page.
Am I correct in saying that its still using Java 15 ?
Also what "HOME" must be set ?
Thanks

markjuggles

Postby markjuggles » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:55 pm

I get the impression that VS Code is the recommended IDE but I spent 3 days trying to get it to work and failed, failed, failed.... There were lots of reasons and many battles were won but the war was lost. Periodically I would go back and try to build an untouched project from CMD and eventually it would fail. The VS Code plugin seems to corrupt ESP-IDF or the environment eventually.

On the other hand, when trying Eclipse, I had it working in an hour!

But things are not that simple -- they never are. The ESP-IDF examples work exactly as advertised for me in Eclipse but my project will be based on the esp-aws-iot project.

https://github.com/espressif/esp-aws-iot

Because the build does not occur in the top level, the Eclipse plugin is failing for esp-aws-iot. Maybe there is a way to create a top-level build that will work?

There is an alternative which works for esp-aws-iot. Use VS Code without the VS Code ESP-IDF plugin.

Yuri R has a video explaining this. It provides full symbol resolution in esp-aws-iot. The Build and Run buttons don't work in that project because of the subdirectories but that's ok, it's easy to do that manually. The symbol resolution is the key feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IuZ-E8Tmhg

Install time was also about an hour. It wasn't quite as smooth as it was for Yuri. Apparently VS Code has changed a little and I had to manually add some of the include paths but it works as of 31 December 2020.

DutchOrange

Postby DutchOrange » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:18 pm

Thanks for the reply, that was a while ago and I have adapted to coding without the IDE and its been going well. I actually finished the majority of the project but still thanks so much for the reply. Iam surprised I even got a reply from such a old post. Thanks.