VS Code Youtube Tutorial Series

ESP_Soumesh

VS Code Youtube Tutorial Series

Postby ESP_Soumesh » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:47 am

We have started youtube tutorial series focused on IDEs.

Our first video is an introductory / quick start for vs code extension, and will keep releasing new one's based on user reactions and suggestions

You can also submit suggestion forms for future videos

hamishcunningham

Re: VS Code Youtube Tutorial Series

Postby hamishcunningham » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:51 am

Useful, thanks! And a great plugin :)

One question: is there a way to control the flash speed from VSCode?

Thanks!

ESP_bignacio

Postby ESP_bignacio » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:52 am

There is a visual studio code configuration setting for the flash baud rate as shown here and you can set it with the ESP-IDF: Device configuration command.

Please keep this topic with questions or suggestions related to YouTube tutorial series. Any additional question you can post a new topic in this forum, if you haven't found existing solution for your problem.

kc0skm

Postby kc0skm » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:16 pm

i cannot get the idf for vscode installed any help suggestions - i have tried a number of versions of python... I cannot get my setup to validate the python tools in the last step - it finds the python path for select python version (initial steps)to use and finds Git also no issues. i cannot get the idf to pass if all the tools exist - (at 3.19 in this video) any help suggestions - i have tried a number of versions of python... it fails in verification of tools. see attached image of what i cannot complete on my install

ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1: 'C:\Users\Gregg\.espressif\python_env\idf4.1_py3.9_env\Scripts\python.exe' -u -c 'import sys, setuptools, tokenize; sys.argv[0] = '"'"'C:\\Users\\Gregg\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\pip-install-elpd2cer\\psutil\\setup.py'"'"'; __file__='"'"'C:\\Users\\Gregg\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\pip-install-elpd2cer\\psutil\\setup.py'"'"';f=getattr(tokenize, '"'"'open'"'"', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('"'"'\r\n'"'"', '"'"'\n'"'"');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, '"'"'exec'"'"'))' install --record 'C:\Users\Gregg\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-record-fmanvioo\install-record.txt' --single-version-externally-managed --compile --install-headers 'C:\Users\Gregg\.espressif\python_env\idf4.1_py3.9_env\include\site\python3.9\psutil' Check the logs for full command output.
WARNING: You are using pip version 20.2.3; however, version 20.3.3 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the 'C:\Users\Gregg\.espressif\python_env\idf4.1_py3.9_env\Scripts\python.exe -m pip install --upgrade pip' command.

The following paths should be added to env PATH
.;C:\Python\Python39;C:\Users\Gregg\.espressif\tools\xtensa-esp32-elf\esp-2020r2-8.2.0\xtensa-esp32-elf\bin;C:\Users\Gregg\.espressif\tools\xtensa-esp32s2-elf\esp-2020r2-8.2.0\xtensa-esp32s2-elf\bin;C:\Users\Gregg\.espressif\tools\esp32ulp-elf\2.28.51-esp-20191205\esp32ulp-elf-binutils\bin;C:\Users\Gregg\.espressif\tools\esp32s2ulp-elf\2.28.51-esp-20191205\esp32s2ulp-elf-binutils\bin;C:\Users\Gregg\.espressif\tools\cmake\3.13.4\bin;C:\Users\Gregg\.espressif\tools\openocd-esp32\v0.10.0-esp32-20191114\openocd-esp32\bin;C:\Users\Gregg\.espressif\tools\ninja\1.9.0;C:\Users\Gregg\.espressif\tools\idf-exe\1.0.1;C:\Users\Gregg\.espressif\tools\ccache\3.7
Attachments
esp pythom setup.jpg
esp pythom setup.jpg (13.03 KiB) Viewed 28773 times

mwirth

Postby mwirth » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:45 am

I have two comments:
  • It's wonderful that Espressif is putting efforts into providing IDEs for ESP32 programming, and the tutorial videos are a great idea. I'm really interested in giving the VS Code version a try.
  • Unfortunately, I had an experience with VS Code Onboarding something like kc0skm's -- a complete mess on multiple trials, in spite of carefully replaying bits of the video and many attempts. There are many places where one can "go in the ditch" and no instructions on how to get back on the road, mostly having to do with environment variables and path names. I gave up after several frustrating hours.
The video in question is very nicely done and a pleasure to follow if everything goes right. But if the user has a question of interpretation about how to set a pathname, etc., there's no immediate second explanation. I know you can't anticipate every question a user would have or mistake they could make. but it would be very helpful to have the following at critical junctures: a sample correct input, and an immediate way to check that your input produced the correct result.

I also tried the Eclipse plugin and almost succeeded. Still have an issue of the wrong Python version being invoked (see separate post on this), but did get much closer on the first try.

Looking forward to trying the VS Code plugin again.

Mike

petermeter69

Postby petermeter69 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:17 pm

I am seeing your youtube video one month after it had been published. The whole process is not even similar to what is in the video.
As others, I could also almost install it.
My problem is with the included header files not being recognized (#include errors detected. Please update your includePath.).
Being new to VSCode, I am stuck.

Any help appreciated!

Peter

Aidin77

Postby Aidin77 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:39 pm

I agree

" The whole process is not even similar to what is in the video. As others, I could also almost install it.
My problem is with the included header files not being recognized (#include errors detected. Please update your includePath.)

Vader_Mester

Postby Vader_Mester » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:43 am

Aidin77 wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:39 pm
I agree

" The whole process is not even similar to what is in the video. As others, I could also almost install it.
My problem is with the included header files not being recognized (#include errors detected. Please update your includePath.)
There is actually no connection between VScode recognizing includes and IDF compiling properly.
It is one thing that is annoying, but I could fix it by adding the includepath.
One note is that sometimes sdkconfig.h is included from the bootloader's build directory not IDF's build directory, so code highlighting is not that good, but that is something I could live with :)

Code: Select all

task_t coffeeTask()
{
	while(atWork){
		if(!xStreamBufferIsEmpty(mug)){
			coffeeDrink(mug);
		} else {
			xTaskCreate(sBrew, "brew", 9000, &mug, 1, NULL);
			xSemaphoreTake(sCoffeeRdy, portMAX_DELAY);
		}
	}
	vTaskDelete(NULL);
}

zazas321

Postby zazas321 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:04 am

I have followed the quick setup guide to setup my esp-idf in visual code. I am not able to build hello world program as I am getting the following error message:

Code: Select all

> Executing task: cmake -G Ninja .. <

-- Found Git: C:/Program Files/Git/cmd/git.exe (found version "2.31.1.windows.1") 
-- The C compiler identification is GNU 8.4.0
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 8.4.0
-- The ASM compiler identification is GNU
-- Found assembler: C:/Users/Lukas/.espressif/tools/xtensa-esp32-elf/esp-2020r3-8.4.0/xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc.exe
-- Check for working C compiler: C:/Users/Lukas/.espressif/tools/xtensa-esp32-elf/esp-2020r3-8.4.0/xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc.exe
CMake Error at C:/Users/Lukas/.espressif/tools/cmake/3.16.4/share/cmake-3.16/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:44 (try_compile):
  Failed to open

C:/Users/Lukas/Desktop/Programming/ESP-IDF/test_programs/hello_world/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CMakeLists.txt

Permission denied
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  C:/Users/Lukas/Desktop/Programming/ESP-IDF/esp-idf/tools/cmake/project.cmake:307 (__project)
  CMakeLists.txt:6 (project)

-- Check for working C compiler: C:/Users/Lukas/.espressif/tools/xtensa-esp32-elf/esp-2020r3-8.4.0/xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc.exe -- broken
CMake Error at C:/Users/Lukas/.espressif/tools/cmake/3.16.4/share/cmake-3.16/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:60 (message):
  The C compiler

"C:/Users/Lukas/.espressif/tools/xtensa-esp32-elf/esp-2020r3-8.4.0/xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc.exe"

is not able to compile a simple test program.

It fails with the following output:

CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  C:/Users/Lukas/Desktop/Programming/ESP-IDF/esp-idf/tools/cmake/project.cmake:307 (__project)
  CMakeLists.txt:6 (project)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "C:/Users/Lukas/Desktop/Programming/ESP-IDF/test_programs/hello_world/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "C:/Users/Lukas/Desktop/Programming/ESP-IDF/test_programs/hello_world/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
The terminal process "C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -Command cmake -G Ninja .." terminated with exit code: 1.

Terminal will be reused by tasks, press any key to close it.

I have seen numerous other people having the same issue. Perhaps someone could help me find a solution?