Certainly, there are several alternative workarounds. I would like to hear your comments for the following.
- In your OS explorer (Windows, Mac, Linux), find the folder where your VSC project is stores, such as MySuperProject.
- Copy the folder and give it a new name, such as MySuperProject_V0_1
- Open the build subfolder and delete all the subfolders and files
- Start VSC and open folder MySuperProject_V0_1
- Select the command ESP-IDF: Configure ESP-IDF extension (Use existing setup).
- Build the project. If you get an error message related to file compile_commands.json then you have skipped the ESP-IDF: Configure ESP-IDF extension command.