Moving Visual GDB project

orbitcoms

Moving Visual GDB project

Postby orbitcoms » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:37 am

Is anyone here using Visual Studio with ESP-IDF for IDE?
I started using this as I found VSCODE unstable (every time there is an update to VSCODE or extension I seem to get issue)

I have 2 issues.
1. (More related to Visual Studio). How can I move the Visual GDB project to another driver of folder? I cannot get the project to load after I move it.
2. One of my projects from VSCODE uses the ADF framework. Using Visual GDB I can create a NEW project using the "play_mp3" example as template on creation but if I try to load my own code that works in VSCODE, The compiler cannot find the resources and fails to load

Thank for any help.

ESP_kondalkolipaka

Re: Moving Visual GDB project

Postby ESP_kondalkolipaka » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:11 am

Hello orbitcoms

On VSCode extension - Sorry that it didn't work out of the box. Could you share more details on the problem you had working with the VSCode extension and things can be improved?

Please create a ticket here https://github.com/espressif/vscode-esp-idf-extension so that we can follow up.

Thanks

orbitcoms

Postby orbitcoms » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:42 am

My experience with VSCODE and the extension is that many times after and update to vscode or the extension, my projects no longer compile properly.

The extension seems to not be able to install the proper paths. Or it cannot identify the installed ESP-IDF.

At the moment when I attempt to compile and flash one of my projects I get a useless errors that states something like "Strange error has occurred when flashing the device". "Strange" is not a useful description of the error. If I simply close VSCODE, reopen and flash again it works ok. Then it happens after I edit something and try to flash again, so I exit vscode and restart to get it to flash my device.

The adf framework seems to not be kept up to date with releases of ESP-IDF. If you select the custom board for the framework you get warnings about battery status monitoring and other items that are used in specific boards but not required for custom board.

So far, the projects I migrated to Visual GDB in Visual Studio 2019 have been stable (with the exception of the adf project which I cannot get going using Visual GDB and just put up with the strange error).

It seems several niggly issues are affecting my experience with coding the ESP32 using ESP-IDF. One other issue was the usrt driver when using RS485 that "randomly" sets the ENABLE pin low before data is sent (using Fall Duplex RS485 mode). This can occur something after 30 minutes and sometimes after running for several days. Once this occurs, it prevents transmission of data. Sometimes it recovers after a while and other times not. I followed a post from 2019 that explained this very same issue, I thought the component would have been updated by now to address this (apparently some uart interrupt causes the enable line to pull low). The RS485 example code o the Espressif site does not show any special handling of writing RS485 data with enable pin so I am not sure if my code should use the wait till tx done function or something to prevent this occurring?

ESP_bignacio

Postby ESP_bignacio » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:51 pm

Hi @orbicoms we had several bugs in v1.1.0 which we were working and testing diligently. Hopefully it is fixed now with v1.1.1. Please try to reconfigure the extension with this new version and let us know how it goes.

With regards to reviewing errors in the extension, please take a look at https://github.com/espressif/vscode-esp ... leshooting

About ESP-ADF project, ESP-IDF is included in the repository (as git submodule). Make sure that if you are using ESP-ADF, you have configured the extension to use ESP-IDF included in ESP-ADF directory ($ADF_PATH/esp-idf as $IDF_PATH).

orbitcoms

Postby orbitcoms » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:06 pm

Thanks,

Extension revision 1.1.1 has stopped bringing up the esp-idf config every time I load the project.

Still to test flashing my project to see if the "strange error has occurred" is fixed.