IDEs FAQ

ESP_bignacio

IDEs FAQ

Postby ESP_bignacio » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:18 pm

The purpose of this topic is to share common questions related to IDE integration for ESP-IDF.

We will keep updating this topic with common questions that arise in the future.

1. What are the IDE that Espressif officially maintains ?

Currently we officially support Eclipse and Visual Studio Code.

Espressif developers might be able to help with these two, the community and this forum can help with other integrations.

2. I have an issue or error with the Eclipse Plugin, what can I do ?

Take a look at the Troubleshooting guide and Eclipse Plugin FAQ so you can see the error in the plugin. You might be able to fix the issue yourself or give enough information for others to help you with the problem.

Search the Eclipse Plugin GitHub repository first and then this forum, your issue might already be solved.

3. I have an issue or error with the Visual Studio Code extension, what can I do ?

Take a look at the Troubleshooting documentation so you can see the error in the extension. You might be able to fix the issue yourself or give enough information for others to help you with the problem.

Search the Visual Studio Code extension repository first and then this forum, your issue might already be solved.

4. How to use the Eclipse Plugin ?

Check out the Eclipse Plugin readme

5. How to use the Visual Studio Code extension ?

There are many tutorials and documentation in here.

6. What about questions of ESP-IDF ?

Check out ESP-FAQ or the ESP-IDF forum itself.

7. I try to build my project but there is an error and I don't know what is happening. What to do ?

First of all, have you configure the IDE plugin/extension properly ? Make sure to review the documentation for Eclipse plugin and Visual Studio Code extension to install or set path for ESP-IDF, ESP-IDF Tools and the python virtual environment.

There was error in the setup or in your project code itself. Gather the Visual Studio Code extension Troubleshooting or the Eclipse plugin Troubleshooting information and look for errors in there.

Chances are that your issue have been posted before in their GitHub repository or this forum. If not, you can open a new GitHub issue or open a topic in the forum.

8. How does a ESP-IDF project looks like ?

Please take a look at the build system documentation here to understand how to use each file.

Code: Select all

- myProject/
             - CMakeLists.txt
             - sdkconfig
             - components/ - component1/ - CMakeLists.txt
                                         - Kconfig
                                         - src1.c
                           - component2/ - CMakeLists.txt
                                         - Kconfig
                                         - src1.c
                                         - include/ - component2.h
             - main/       - CMakeLists.txt
                           - src1.c
                           - src2.c
9. I tried flashing my project but I have an error similar to "Error: unable to open ftdi device with vid ". What to do ?

Take a look at Configure JTAG Interface to make sure that your drivers are defined correctly.

On Windows, you could try using idf-env just running the following command in Powershell:

Code: Select all

Invoke-WebRequest 'https://dl.espressif.com/dl/idf-env/idf-env.exe' -OutFile .\idf-env.exe; .\idf-env.exe driver install --espressif --ftdi --silabs
Drivers are also part of the ESP-IDF Windows Installer

10. What is another way to maintain ESP-IDF environment?

Using the IDF-ENV you can manage several ESP-IDF versions and launchers, install drivers, manage antivirus exclusions and more.

11. While trying to debug my project I have encountered an issue. What should I do?

First review the ESP-IDF JTAG Debugging documentation to understand how debugging works and the expected configuration of your device.
The debugger is connected to openOCD. Please take a look at OpenOCD Troubleshooting FAQ for any openOCD errors you might have encountered.

Check your IDE integration log files and post an issue in the respective GitHub repository if the issue is not related to openOCD itself. For more information check Eclipse Troubleshooting and Visual Studio Code extension Troubleshooting.

I have an issue flashing my Espressif device, What should i do?

Best start would be to follow the Espressif's esptool troubleshooting documentation for ESP32 or find your Espressif device.