VSCode with ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 : Unable to flash the board correctly !

ThomasESP32

VSCode with ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 : Unable to flash the board correctly !

Postby ThomasESP32 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:59 pm

Good afternoon,

It is the first time that I work with Espressif products. I recently managed to install the Eclipse plugin, compile a sample project and flash it into my ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 board and everything is ok.

Now, I would like to try the VSCode extension but do not manage to do the same steps...
Could you please help me on the subject ? Here is what I did :

1) I installed Visual Studio Code from : https://code.visualstudio.com/ => v1.70.0
2) I installed the C++ Build Tools from : https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/fr/v ... ild-tools/
3) I ran Visual Studio Code
4) I opened the extension view, then entered "ESP IDF" and installed the Extension 1.4.0.
5) I pressed the F1 key and wrote " ESP-IDF: Configure ESP-IDF extension ". Because, everything was already installed for Eclipse, I used the "USE EXISTING SETUP" option. At the end I saw the finish/end message.
6) I pressed the F1 key and entered "ESP-IDF : New Project".
7) I connected my "ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1" board to the computed using the UART port.
8) I chose the name blink for the project.
9) I entered a path for the project.
10) I chose a ESP-IDF board => Here "ESP32-S3 chip (via ESP-PROG)", but I am not sure it is the one to use. Could you help me ? Maybe it is Build In USB/JTAG ???
11) I chose the Serial Port.
12) I chose the template blink and compile it. Everything was ok.
13) I pressed the F1 Key and chose "ESP-IDF: Select Flash Method and Flash". I try with UART, chose the project.
14) Now, when I click the "Run" menu and "Run without debugging", I get the error message "Failed to init debug adapter !". Moreover, I get the following messages in the output view:

DEBUG_ADAPTER_STARTED
2022-08-08 15:55:45,612 - Debug Adapter (main) - CRITICAL - Debug adapter -> Extension: DEBUG_ADAPTER_STARTED
DEBUG_ADAPTER_READY2CONNECT
2022-08-08 15:55:45,617 - Debug Adapter (main) - CRITICAL - Debug adapter -> Extension: DEBUG_ADAPTER_READY2CONNECT
DEBUG_ADAPTER_STOPPED
2022-08-08 15:55:55,771 - Debug Adapter (main) - CRITICAL - Debug adapter -> Extension: DEBUG_ADAPTER_STOPPED
[Stopped] : ESP-IDF Debug Adapter

Could you please help me ? I am not sure of the following parameters :
A) ESP32-S3 chip (via ESP-PROG) or ESP32-S3 chip (Build-In USB JTAG).
B) UART/FLAH Methode.

My board is an ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1.

Thank you for your help.
Best regards.

Thomas TRUILHE

ThomasESP32

Re: VSCode with ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 : Unable to flash the board correctly !

Postby ThomasESP32 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:29 pm

Sorry but everything is ok now.
I checked the different options at the bottom of VSCode and managed to flash the program using the corresponding icon.

Best regards,

Thomas TRUILHE

ThomasESP32

Re: VSCode with ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 : Unable to flash the board correctly !

Postby ThomasESP32 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:53 pm

Excuse me but I still have one question concerning this subject...

I would like to debug programs on my ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 board but I don't know if it is possible or not without
adding external component/hardware ?

If it is possible I also do not know how to configure the VSCode IDE and project in order to do Debug properly...
Here is what I tried :

1) Open the main file of my example in the project explorer : "blink_example_main.c"
2) Click on the "Debug C/C++ file" button on the top right hand corner.
3) Chose "C/C++: xtensa-esp32s3-elf-gcc.exe Générer et déboguer le fichier actif" line => Here I don't know if it is this one and I don't know how this line appeared ?
4) I get a Terminal at the bottom of the page telling me :

Démarrage de la génération...
C:\Espressif\tools\xtensa-esp32s3-elf\esp-2021r2-patch3-8.4.0\xtensa-esp32s3-elf\bin\xtensa-esp32s3-elf-gcc.exe -fdiagnostics-color=always -g C:\Users\ttruilhe\VSCode\workspace\blink\main\blink_example_main.c -o C:\Users\ttruilhe\VSCode\workspace\blink\main\blink_example_main.exe
C:\Users\ttruilhe\VSCode\workspace\blink\main\blink_example_main.c:10:10: fatal error: freertos/FreeRTOS.h: No such file or directory
#include "freertos/FreeRTOS.h"
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

However, the compilation runs normally in "Run mode".
Is there any Debug configuration to edit so I can set include paths or something ?

Do you think it is possible to debug using the "ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1" easily ?

Thank you for your help.
Best regards.

Thomas TRUILHE