VS Code You do not have IntelliSense configured.

BrianP

VS Code You do not have IntelliSense configured.

Postby BrianP » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:14 pm

Sorry if this is asked and answer. I tried search and the website doesn't respond.

Windows 11, VS Code, ESP32-C3

I have just started using the most recent Esp32 VS Code extension. I think it is great!

On loading VS Code the extension used to tell me linux-clang-x64 was changed to linux-gcc-x64 but I looked around and edited c_cpp_properties.json and that went away. With that warning or without it, I get a message up top to the effect of [Scan for kits] (sorry - it goes away quickly) then I get

You do not have IntelliSense configured. Unless you set your own configurations, IntelliSense may not be functional.

When I click on that it asks me to select a compiler.
I get the choices
Select another compiler on my machine,
Help me install a compiler,
Do not configure a compiler

The first choice brings up a file picker. I have tried pointing that to the ESP32-C3 compiler

C:\Espressif\tools\riscv32-esp-elf\esp-2022r1-11.2.0\riscv32-esp-elf\bin\riscv32-esp-elf-gcc.exe

But the message remains.

Clicking on Help me install a compiler directs me to https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/cpp/config-mingw, which is about Using GCC with MinGW I did find this https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/cpp/ ... ompilation, which is about cross-compiling, but my c_cpp_configuration.json file looks correct based on the "fix" changing linux-clang-x64 to linux-gcc-x64. I tried using "IntelliSenseMode": "gcc-riscv" but that switches back to "linux-gcc" (not linux-gcc-64) and I still get the warning.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Here is my c_cpp_configuration.json file

{
"configurations": [
{
"name": "ESP-IDF",
"compilerPath": "C:\\Espressif\\tools\\riscv32-esp-elf\\esp-2022r1-11.2.0\\riscv32-esp-elf\\bin\\riscv32-esp-elf-gcc.exe",
"cStandard": "c11",
"cppStandard": "c++17",
"intelliSenseMode": "linux-gcc-x64",
"includePath": [
"${config:idf.espIdfPath}/components/**",
"${config:idf.espIdfPathWin}/components/**",
"${config:idf.espAdfPath}/components/**",
"${config:idf.espAdfPathWin}/components/**",
"${workspaceFolder}/**"
],
"browse": {
"path": [
"${config:idf.espIdfPath}/components",
"${config:idf.espIdfPathWin}/components",
"${config:idf.espAdfPath}/components/**",
"${config:idf.espAdfPathWin}/components/**",
"${workspaceFolder}"
],
"limitSymbolsToIncludedHeaders": false
},
"compileCommands": "${workspaceFolder}/build/compile_commands.json"
}
],
"version": 4
}

ESP_bignacio

Re: VS Code You do not have IntelliSense configured.

Postby ESP_bignacio » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:04 am

The [Scan for kits] message is from the CMake Tools extension, not the Espressif VSCode extension. Your c_cpp_properties.json seems to be configured. These message you are receiving can be removed by uninstalling this extension. "compileCommands": "${workspaceFolder}/build/compile_commands.json" is the best configuration for esp-idf projects.

BrianP

Re: VS Code You do not have IntelliSense configured.

Postby BrianP » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:58 pm

Thanks for the reply!
I disabled the Cmake extensions, reloaded, and get the error from Source c/c++ extensions which, if I try to disable, tells me is a required part of ESP-IDF.

I do not understand the comment

"compileCommands": "${workspaceFolder}/build/compile_commands.json"

I did check and there is a compile_commands.json i the build folder and it looks OK.