Prog size & other questions

colinives

Prog size & other questions

Postby colinives » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:12 pm

Ok,

Hi there.

* How much program memory does rainmaker add or does it depend on what features I use?
* If I choose mongoose for my OTA stuff can I use use the phone app features to add fast phone functionality
* How does this scale - I'm looking at tens of thousands of devices?
* Can we store user profile data on the cloud - such as settings, purchased items etc?
* Can people access the device from over the internet from the rainmaker app?
* Is there a rainmaker vs mongoose analysis - happy to possibly use feature of each if footprints aren't an issue and if they will play nicely together?

Thank you

ESP_Piyush

Re: Prog size & other questions

Postby ESP_Piyush » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:19 pm

* How much program memory does rainmaker add or does it depend on what features I use?
Yes, this indeed depends on your application. However, at the very least, the mqtt and some core rainmaker components would be pulled in. You can use idf_size.py tool for the analysis. You can also refer to this blog post (though it is a bit old).
* If I choose mongoose for my OTA stuff can I use use the phone app features to add fast phone functionality.
RainMaker offers its own OTA functionality already. It uses ESP IDF's esp_https_ota component on client side and firmware upload/storage/deployment on cloud side. Check out here.
* How does this scale - I'm looking at tens of thousands of devices?
RainMaker is indeed scalable for a very large number of devices. You can checkout this blog post for information regarding scalability and other cloud aspects.
* Can we store user profile data on the cloud - such as settings, purchased items etc?
Currently, there is no "user profile" as such apart from email address. Since this is very much use case specific, please send an email to esp-rainmaker-admin@espressif.com with some more info of the feature request.
* Can people access the device from over the internet from the rainmaker app?
Yes, of course, That is the primary functionality of ESP RainMaker.
* Is there a rainmaker vs mongoose analysis - happy to possibly use feature of each if footprints aren't an issue and if they will play nicely together?
No, we haven't done any such analysis. If you are looking for anything specific that may be missing in ESP RainMaker, do let us know.