Separate provisioning and user association steps

maldus

Separate provisioning and user association steps

Postby maldus » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:13 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm experimenting with the Rainmaker SDK and the provided Android application with varying degrees of success. In particular I'm interested in knowing if it's possible to associate the node to a user without providing a WiFi network to connect to.
Specifically I'm working with a custom design that incorporates an Ethernet connection; if that is available I don't need WiFi provisioning, just to associate the node to a user.
Unfortunately the application does not contemplate this possibility and requires a WiFi connection regardless. Is there a way around this (without developing a custom application)?

ESP_Piyush

Re: Separate provisioning and user association steps

Postby ESP_Piyush » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:43 am

At the specification level, user node mapping is independent of Wi-Fi provisioning. The esp_rmaker_start_user_node_mapping() API can be used on the device side to trigger the device side workflow. Even on the phone app side, you just need to invoke the add user-node mapping REST API. All the required support is already available in the apps, but since this isn't the usual workflow, as of now, you will have to make your own customisations in our Android/iOS source code. We can help out with information regarding actual APIs to be called and their ordering if you want to take that path. You may also file a feature request, either on the ESP RainMaker repo or any of the phone app repos and we may take this up whenever feasible.

maldus

Re: Separate provisioning and user association steps

Postby maldus » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:17 am

All the required support is already available in the apps, but since this isn't the usual workflow, as of now, you will have to make your own customisations in our Android/iOS source code.
I imagined this was the case. Thank you for clarifying it! I will decide in the near future whether to develop my own application and/or proposing a feature request.