Missing feature in Rain Maker before it can be use in real life

dzungpv

Missing feature in Rain Maker before it can be use in real life

Postby dzungpv » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:01 am

I using ESPs product for the long time for the hobby purpose, Now I am study the eco systems for some commercial project.
The Rain Maker is the good one but it missing many feature to become a smarthome app.

For example in some app like MiHome or Smartlife, a long with control UI, there is some additional page like: Help, Setting, About ... etc. Current in Rain Maker there is a page call "Node Detail" but it not enough. There is some settings not often use by user and I don't want to show it all to the main control UI, or a place where user can press button to check the firmware, reset the device ...

A missing feature is the the logs off the change state, for example last 10 state of the device.

But the solution not fully opensource so now only your company can control the feature, I know the app is opensource but I will not using it without server code.

Many user mention about opensource https://github.com/espressif/esp-rainmaker/issues/96

ESP_Piyush

Re: Missing feature in Rain Maker before it can be use in real life

Postby ESP_Piyush » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:40 pm

ESP RainMaker has been designed and built in a way that a lot of features can be added without changing the cloud backend. As an example, the timezone, scenes, schedules, reset/reboot features are implemented directly on the firmware and driven from the phone app, with the backend just acting as a conduit for the data. Most of our customers shuffle these features in their custom apps as per their preferences. More features can be added via custom services.

To maintain historical information of values, you can use the time series data feature. If you just want the history and do not need to perform any aggregations, you can use the Simple variant of time series data. Note that this will add to the cost due to the additional storage, which could be relevant for private commercial deployments.

Even though the cloud backend code itself is not open source, since RainMaker is based on AWS Serverless Architecture, you have full ownership and access to the different database tables which you may use for other purposes. You can introduce your custom MQTT topics and their handling, create new APIs and so on. Some ways of extending the RainMaker backend can be found in this video.

dzungpv

Postby dzungpv » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:13 am

Thank you the the info, after evaluate it I may use it. But now I reach the 5 device limit and send email to increase the quota but still silent after a week, the email I sent is: esp-rainmaker-admin@espressif.com. I want more quota to test difference chip and scenario.

ESP_Piyush

Postby ESP_Piyush » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:15 pm

We were making some quota calculation changes the past few days and have also decided to make the default quota 20 for all users. If you try to claim right now, your quota should automatically increase to 20. Can you give it a shot and check?

dzungpv

Postby dzungpv » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:55 am

ESP_Piyush wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:15 pm
We were making some quota calculation changes the past few days and have also decided to make the default quota 20 for all users. If you try to claim right now, your quota should automatically increase to 20. Can you give it a shot and check?
I will try it, Rainmaker is a very promising service, you can change to SAS model and can learn from Tuya IOT service.
You can sell per device license, or bulk license so small dev does not need to pay high amount of money and maintenance their own AWS, or their app, only pay for activated device and user use your app. Now your service only limit sell private server license, price so high.

You can learn more here: https://support.tuya.com/en/help/_detail/K92m1299vezwy
https://developer.tuya.com/en/docs/iot/ ... r0vs7ikn6c