ESP-BOX options?

WiFive

ESP-BOX options?

Postby WiFive » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:28 pm

ESP-BOX could be very useful not just as a devkit but as a drop in control panel for many products if it is mass produced, affordable, and flexible.

Hopefully it can have the following options:
- Modular certified or contains certified module
- PSRAM version
- Cheaper version with just a touchscreen but no audio features
- header on rear like M5stack for add-on boads or host boards
- no visible logos or branding

ESP_Rachel

Re: ESP-BOX options?

Postby ESP_Rachel » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:42 pm

You may find the related resources here:https://github.com/espressif/esp-box

WiFive

Postby WiFive » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:57 pm

I see that it does have psram and certified module inside. Unfortunately it is limited availability and priced for devkit not production. No real advantage over m5stack.

ESP_igrr

Postby ESP_igrr » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:48 pm

Something to note, the purpose of esp-box is not in esp-box itself... rather, it is a starting point from which the product-specific design can be developed. For example, take the PCB design and customize the enclosure. Or, customize the PCB design.
So while it is a dev kit, think of it more as a reference design.

WiFive

Postby WiFive » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:43 am

Of course but it would also be nice to bring economies of scale to a wifi touch control panel that can be dropped into products the same way rf modules or raspberry pi boards are.

stuartiannaylor

Postby stuartiannaylor » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:46 pm

Hi just out of curiosity but why does the ESP32-S3-BOX have 2x analogue mems -> ADC -> I2S whilst I2S mems would seem to cut out the need for an additional ADC?

I actually quite like the idea of the ADC as unidirectional electrets can help with near AEC but curious as it all seems hardwired or do the spare channels on the ADC have traces for alternative input?

Yu_Zhe

Postby Yu_Zhe » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:42 am

1. Digital microphones can save an ADC chip, but their gain is generally not adjustable.
2. Dual microphones are used for speech recognition, an additional ADC channel is used to capture the output of the DAC (speaker) for echo cancellation (although it is currently not turned on for some reason). the standard I2S protocol cannot capture 3 channels, and As a 4-channel ADC, ES7210 can use TDM mode to expand up to 16 channels, or combine ADC1/3 to left channel and ADC2/4 to right channel.

stuartiannaylor

Postby stuartiannaylor » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:00 pm

Thanks Yu_Zhe still confused at the gain as why not software?
Guess its confusing as did read about a 3rd input but could see nowhere where it is used.
I guess its almost like a reference mic for a unfiltered signal of voice, noise and output maybe like a rear active mic on a phone?
But to be honest why its connected to the dac of a signal you have sent to the dac has me even more confused?

Yu_Zhe

Postby Yu_Zhe » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:14 am

1. Since the internal ADC resolution of the digital microphone is fixed, software amplification will cause small signal distortion
2. The output of ES8311 is not only connected to the audio PA, but also connected to the third channel of the audio ADC ES7210 for echo cancellation.
[img][/ESP32-S3-BOX_Block_Diagram.png]
Attachments
ESP32-S3-BOX_Block_Diagram.png
ESP32-S3-BOX Block Diagram
ESP32-S3-BOX_Block_Diagram.png (23.07 KiB) Viewed 52504 times

stuartiannaylor

Postby stuartiannaylor » Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:19 am

Ah apols as I am Brit you know Brexit and all that we are not the brightest.

https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... l#aec-path

Still slightly confused as usually its the speaker itself that provides most distortion where usually a non-linear alg helps correct things.
I guess it will pick up the distortion of both amp and ADC and my lack of knowledge always made me think that was minimal and not seen before, say if you take a non-linear AEC like speex, where its clock drift and sync that are important which I guess it does also.

I suppose Espressif have never considered doing a ES8311/ES7210 daughter board? The rest of the s3-korvo-2 board for me is redundant cost really with the awkwardness of the fixed mics.
I have got the S3-Box to gain ready made firmware and hardware to do some tests but was hoping to run simpler and lower cost dev boards.
Suppose no one knows where you can get low volume ES8311/ES7210 ics? :)

There was an original internal simple board with a single pmod that I saw somewhere that looked perfect.