How do I download the binary to the BOX-Lite ?

PhilAJ52

How do I download the binary to the BOX-Lite ?

Postby PhilAJ52 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:21 pm

I've created a sketch in the Arduino IDE - and it runs a treat on my BOX-Lite connected to my PC.

I now need to send the binary to a colleague to download onto a 2nd device (he is too far away to just visit, or get his device)...and am trying to do myself first.

I followed some instructions to create my binary from the IDE, which I have.
I have downloaded the ESPTools flash_download_tool_3.9.5 and followed a video on running it;
My settings are;
ESP32-S3; Develop, UART then select the binary, set the @ to 0X0000; Speed to 80Mhz, QIO Mode; COM5 and 115200 ....but get the following;

Uploading stub...
Running stub...
Stub running...
Changing baud rate to 921600
Changed.
NO XMC flash detected!
SPI_BOOT_CRYPT_CNT 0
SECURE_BOOT_EN False

is stub and send flash finish

I did try the ERASE option - and this seems to work, as the program is no longer on the device.

Also - after ERASE I can recompile and it uploads file from the Arduino IDE

Any help much appreciated.

PhilAJ52

Re: How do I download the binary to the BOX-Lite ?

Postby PhilAJ52 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:46 pm

Looking at some other Posts - Do I need to upload a bootloader .bin first ??

New to this and really need help in downloading.

Lvhaiyu

Postby Lvhaiyu » Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:05 am

Perhaps you can try merging the bin files.
For instructions on using ESPTOOL to merge bin files, you can refer to: https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... ight=merge.
Alternatively, you can use the following command: esptool.py --chip ESP32-S3 merge_bin -o name.bin @flash_args.
After merging the bin files, you can attempt flashing again.

PhilAJ52

Postby PhilAJ52 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:12 am

Thanks for feedback.

On one of the examples I saw it mentioned having to download the Bootloader AND the Partition Map file before my program.

I have found the Bootloader - but where do I get the partition map file?

Lvhaiyu

Postby Lvhaiyu » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:02 am

After testing, it has been confirmed that it is possible to generate the binary file using the following steps.
First, in the Arduino IDE, navigate to `File` -> `Preferences`, locate the `upload` option, and open it.
Next, compile and burn the project in the Arduino IDE. At this point, a terminal window at the bottom will display something like "python3 "/home/xxx/.arduino15/packages/esp32/tools/esptool_py/xxx/esptool.py" --chip esp32s3 --port "/dev/ttyACM0" --baud 921600..." log.
Now, you can find the required binary file and obtain the parameters for the merge command.

As for how to merge the binary files, you can refer to the documentation at https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... -merge-bin,
or use the following command as a reference: "esptool.py --chip ESP32 merge_bin -o merged-flash.bin --flash_mode dio --flash_size 4MB 0x1000 bootloader.bin 0x8000 partition-table.bin 0x10000 app.bin."

PhilAJ52

Postby PhilAJ52 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:47 pm

Thank you for that information