esp32s3 Cache and DMA

ESP_Sprite

Re: esp32s3 Cache and DMA

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:06 am

Honestly? Not really. You're hijacking a different topic and using stuff that is not really intended for end user accessibility, ignoring our suggestion to use the drivers, and then asking us to debug your code. You'll have to apologize us for not giving that the highest of priorities.

jprpower104

Postby jprpower104 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:55 pm

@ESP_Sprite, I use all drivers with spi, uart, i2c, gpio, and all for many programs in my job, but rigth now i need DMA transfers between M2M, Peripherica to Memory and Memory to periferical, this is not optional if DMA capable maybe this can use. I need asure DMA transfer in some applications without dude, and you give to me some examples with GDMA or with "Asynchronous Memory Copy"?? Because i need a standart form of configure DMA for any peripherical with indepence of his driver... I'm open to listen your ideas and recomendations, maybe i like do this in another form because some MCU programers come of world of PIC, freescale and TI microcontrollers, but now we see in ESP32 family a wonderfull machine, but we need support because come of another form of see this ...

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:34 am

As I said, just use the drivers. The SPI drivers will use DMA where they can and I2C and GPIO are not DMA capable to begin with. For M2M copies, you can use the asynchronous memory copy API. If these APIs are not sufficient for what you're trying to do, I'd love to know why that is.

jprpower104

Postby jprpower104 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:55 pm

why, many modules have examples, but DMA and Async Mem copy don't have any??

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:40 pm

DMA doesn't have examples as DMA is not seen as a public API. You're supposed to use drivers, which will use DMA whenever it's relevant.
Async memory copy API is public, but it's likely that it never got an example as it's a fairly trivial API, and the bits of code in the documentation should be enough to get you started.

jprpower104

Postby jprpower104 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:26 pm

Hello, esp_brite

When you say DMA is not public API, what imply this? with some course or capacitation is posible take access to this information?

ok-home

Postby ok-home » Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:33 am

hi

What modules do you want gdma examples for?
We open the reference manual and find that each module (uart, i2s, lсd/cam ...) has its own operating procedures. The drivers' source codes are open - use them.

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:34 am

It means that we don't expect most people to need the 'raw' DMA API; if there is something they can only do using that API and a fairly large amount of people need, we tend to treat that as something that might be missing from our driver layers. Also, non-public APIs like the DMA API don't have a guarantee of stability: while public APIs will stay the same during a major ESP-IDF release, we can change the non-public ones whenever needed.

Obviously, all that won't stop you from actually using the DMA API (or poke the registers directly, for that matter) as it's all open-source, but it will affect the type of support you'll get. You probably already noticed me heavily suggesting to use our drivers :)

jprpower104

Postby jprpower104 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:47 pm

Hello, ESP_brites

Ok with this policies now i understand, Maybe this thread dead here. How ever I call to all people with interest in GDMA module and his support make any comment here for motivate to open a API with GDMA.

Thanks for all.