ESP32 firmware update over the internet?

vtrix_
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:31 pm

ESP32 firmware update over the internet?

Postby vtrix_ » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:50 am

Is there a way to update the firmware through internet or a service like resin.io that works for esp32?

User avatar
kolban
Posts: 1683
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:43 pm
Location: Texas, USA

Re: ESP32 firmware update over the internet?

Postby kolban » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:36 pm

There is a concept called "Over The Air" Updates (OTA) ... see for example:

http://esp-idf.readthedocs.io/en/latest ... m/ota.html

If I may, let me suggest reading that article and then searching this forum for related. The vast majority of an application that you (or anyone else) writes comprises BOTH the application code and the ESP-IDF (loosely, think of it like the operating system). This is what I would consider the "firmware". Try not to think of the ESP32 as having a base set of firmware code that is then augmented with an application. Rather, think of the "whole application" as including the OS based material. This is the unit of flashing to flash memory.
Free book on ESP32 available here: https://leanpub.com/kolban-ESP32

vtrix_
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:31 pm

Re: ESP32 firmware update over the internet?

Postby vtrix_ » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:53 pm

kolban wrote:There is a concept called "Over The Air" Updates (OTA) ... see for example:

http://esp-idf.readthedocs.io/en/latest ... m/ota.html

If I may, let me suggest reading that article and then searching this forum for related. The vast majority of an application that you (or anyone else) writes comprises BOTH the application code and the ESP-IDF (loosely, think of it like the operating system). This is what I would consider the "firmware". Try not to think of the ESP32 as having a base set of firmware code that is then augmented with an application. Rather, think of the "whole application" as including the OS based material. This is the unit of flashing to flash memory.
Thank you for your reply, this is used only locally isn't it? Can you use OTA to flash an esp32 over internet and not just over WiFi?

User avatar
martinayotte
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:27 pm

Re: ESP32 firmware update over the internet?

Postby martinayotte » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:54 pm

this is used only locally isn't it?
The concept of OTA isn't restricted to local update.
It could be also on the Extranet, depending of your network infrastucture.
If ESP is fetching the firmware binary from a cloud server, this is pretty straight forward.
If you wish to push the firmware binary from outside to an ESP behind firewall/router, then you need IP forwarding rules on this router.

Ritesh
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:37 am
Location: India
Contact:

Re: ESP32 firmware update over the internet?

Postby Ritesh » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:41 pm

martinayotte wrote:
this is used only locally isn't it?
The concept of OTA isn't restricted to local update.
It could be also on the Extranet, depending of your network infrastucture.
If ESP is fetching the firmware binary from a cloud server, this is pretty straight forward.
If you wish to push the firmware binary from outside to an ESP behind firewall/router, then you need IP forwarding rules on this router.
Hi,

Right now, we are using OTA APIs to update firmware and for that we are using 2 OTA option which is second option in to OTA table selection of SDK configurations.

So, Now, our application is going to increase and size might be increased over 1 MB. So, we can not use default partition with 2 OTA selection as there will be only 1 MB partition for application storage.

So, if we go for custom partition and increase OTA1 and OTA2 partitions to 2 MB then will same OTA APIs will work to update firmware with only OTA configurations changes?

I haven't tried it with but asking if anyone has faced any issue after doing that type of stuff.
Regards,
Ritesh Prajapati

ESP_Sprite
Posts: 4034
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:08 am

Re: ESP32 firmware update over the internet?

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:23 am

The OTA code should be partition-aware so yes, larger partitions should allow you to flash larger code.

Ritesh
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:37 am
Location: India
Contact:

Re: ESP32 firmware update over the internet?

Postby Ritesh » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:11 am

ESP_Sprite wrote:The OTA code should be partition-aware so yes, larger partitions should allow you to flash larger code.
Hi,

Thanks for quick reply.

I will check that stuff and will get back to you if need any help for that.
Regards,
Ritesh Prajapati

dhananjay.sutariya
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:21 pm

Re: ESP32 firmware update over the internet?

Postby dhananjay.sutariya » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:13 am

Hi,
I'm still unable to figure out the platforms over which we can perform ota update. (Not locally)

Regards,
Dhananjay Sutariya
Last edited by dhananjay.sutariya on Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ritesh
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:37 am
Location: India
Contact:

Re: ESP32 firmware update over the internet?

Postby Ritesh » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:40 pm

dhananjay.sutariya wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:13 am
Hi,
I'm still unable to figure out the platforms over which we can perform ota update. (Not locally)

Regards,
Dhananjay Sutariya
Means? Please clarify it with few more details and your requirements. So that it will be helpful for us to provide support for that
Regards,
Ritesh Prajapati

dhananjay.sutariya
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:21 pm

Re: ESP32 firmware update over the internet?

Postby dhananjay.sutariya » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:01 pm

If i want to do OTA without local server.
Are there any AWS platform (or any such) where i can upload my binary so that it can be fetched by my device.
Last edited by dhananjay.sutariya on Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: axellin and 52 guests