Esp32 power consumption test ?

BearPeak

Esp32 power consumption test ?

Postby BearPeak » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:58 am

Hi,everyone.
Has anyone tested esp32 deep_sleep mode power consumption?
Lately,i did the power consumption test for esp32(D2WD).But the result was surprising,i use the example deep_sleep in esp-idf,and test the chip when the current work.It's working at deep_sleep when the current is 9ma,but the chip manual is written below 1ma.On the automatic modem sleep mode, I have done the test.It works in our own board about 40ma current beat,I do not know whether other people have done related tests, can provide some test results.
I have always wanted to reduce the power consumption of this chip, Is there any good way or suggestion? I will be very grateful.

iot-bits.com

Re: Esp32 power consumption test ?

Postby iot-bits.com » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:27 am

I have a test board with just the ESP32-D2WD (nothing else, not even a button) and I get a 5mA in deep sleep mode (using timer wake-up). The chip power supply is 2.6V (not 3.3V as usual).
I have been able to get the running current down to 80mA with Wi-Fi on but the deep sleep current is always kinda higher than expected. My design has no GPIOs connected anywhere so... That should not be a factor.
Would be good to have some feedback on achieving sub-1mA sleep mode current!
- Pratik
:geek: Just another hobbyist and consultant

BearPeak

Postby BearPeak » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:06 am

You say your WiFi work current is 80ma,can you tell me your power supply, wifi transmit power? Is there only one esp32 module, did not take any external things?wifi does consume a lot of power, I want to reduce its power consumption to get longer battery life.

Gfast2

Postby Gfast2 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:37 pm

Hi Guys,

Please checkout these stuff (Video):

ESP32 #23: Current Consumption
ESP32 #18: Deep Sleep API and Wake Up

They come from the cool guy: pcbreflux