Who should touch ESP32?

Gfast2

Who should touch ESP32?

Postby Gfast2 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:52 pm

Hi ESP-IDF,

Obvously should tinker, maker, weekendprojectors use ESP32.
But surelly you have the vision aiming at someones would like implement your chips in their products.
Say in my company, the electronic troops would like only hook on PICs and won't really wanna try codes that too complex to fit in their super (huge) loop. And when you ask the ideal development platform of the software troop, the only really wanna going on use their linux ability and their billions lines of legacy. They are the clear voter for Pi ZERO W.
So what should I have to be. In order to let myself rock with the ESP-IDF on my working time?

Cheers

Gfast2

WiFive

Re: Who should touch ESP32?

Postby WiFive » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:32 am

Not dinosaurs.
dinosaur - a person or thing that is outdated or has become obsolete because of failure to adapt to changing circumstances.

ESP_Angus

Postby ESP_Angus » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:18 am

Gfast2 wrote:Hi ESP-IDF,

Obvously should tinker, maker, weekendprojectors use ESP32.
But surelly you have the vision aiming at someones would like implement your chips in their products.
We have a strong presence in Maker/hobbyist communities, and we care about supporting these communities. However, there are also many professional users of ESP32 - both on this forum and elsewhere. From Pro Makers and IoT Startups to multiple very large companies around the world developing commercial projects with ESP32.

Unfortunately most large commercial clients don't advertise their semiconductor technology choices (and we're not allowed to either). There have been some announcements from large Chinese companies, such as Alibaba's DingTalk and Xiaomi's IoT platform.
Gfast2 wrote:Say in my company, the electronic troops would like only hook on PICs and won't really wanna try codes that too complex to fit in their super (huge) loop. And when you ask the ideal development platform of the software troop, the only really wanna going on use their linux ability and their billions lines of legacy. They are the clear voter for Pi ZERO W.
So what should I have to be. In order to let myself rock with the ESP-IDF on my working time?
This really depends on what your company needs. There are plenty of simple electronics problems that can be solved with a humble 8-bit microcontroller like a PIC. There are also problems complex enough that you need a miniaturised Linux computer like Pi ZERO W.

Among some things to consider:
  • What is your target build quantity? Can you source the parts you're choosing at this quantity?
  • What are your price constraints on the cost of chips & modules?
  • Do you want to support a full Linux operating system in each device you ship?
  • Do you have low power constraints?
  • Do you have regulatory compliance constraints (RF emissions, etc)? Will the parts you're sourcing be expensive to test/comply?
  • Do you have peripheral connectivity requirements for things to wire up to the MCU/CPU?
  • Do you have real-time requirements that are better suited to an RTOS instead of a general purpose OS like Linux?
  • Are your developers comfortable with (or learning) C/C++, or with a language like MicroPython, or do they only want to work in very high level languages/environments like node.js, etc?
  • Do you have physical security requirements for flash storage, trusted boot, etc?
The answers to these questions will help determine whether ESP32 or a different technology is a good fit for your company's project.

Important: Everyone, please don't treat this thread as an invitation to discuss which companies may be using ESP32 without announcing it, or to promote merits of specific competing products. There are plenty of other forums on the internet for these purposes.

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:20 am

Also, the trivial answer: Unless they have proper ESD protection, no one should physically touch the ESP32. As with all chips, it's somewhat vulnerable to discharges of static electricity that may have been built up on your body and discharges over your finger. (And yes, we have on-chip snapback devices to prevent most types of damage, but you still shouldn't risk it.)

Gfast2

Postby Gfast2 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:55 pm

Hi Guys,

It's really my pleasure to know all these nice answers/fun jokes!

As I always said, YOU ARE AWESOME. :)

I blieve in the up comming 2018, my company will deploy products based on ESP32. But before all these happen, we should really really put enough effort on our Software Quality Insurancys. I hope I can really help through out all of these, I'm really working hard on that.

Since I'm still junior on programming. I should very often ask questions here. I did /hope to learning more things from this chance. And hope you guys getting more and more attension in the industry.

Cheers

Gfast2