issue with building a wifi example

mzimmers

issue with building a wifi example

Postby mzimmers » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:00 am

Hi -

I've been tasked with exploring the esp32 product for my company. I've followed the instructions for downloading both the IDF and the toolchain. When I attempt to build (via msys2) the provided wifi/wpa2_enterprise example, I get some warnings and errors:
$ make
c:/esp-idf-v3.0-rc1/make/project.mk:54: esp-idf build system only supports MSYS2 in "MINGW32" mode. Consult the ESP-IDF documentation for details.
WARNING: Toolchain version is not supported: 1.22.0-80-g6c4433a
Expected to see version: 1.22.0-75-gbaf03c2
Please check ESP-IDF setup instructions and update the toolchain, or proceed at your own risk.
/c/esp-idf-v3.0-rc1/make/project.mk:54: esp-idf build system only supports MSYS2 in "MINGW32" mode. Consult the ESP-IDF documentation for details.
WARNING: Toolchain version is not supported: 1.22.0-80-g6c4433a
Expected to see version: 1.22.0-75-gbaf03c2
Please check ESP-IDF setup instructions and update the toolchain, or proceed at your own risk.
It seems like the toolchain version I have is actually later than the one expected; is this really a problem?
What is the meaning of MINGW32 mode?

Thanks for any assistance.

ESP_Sprite

Re: issue with building a wifi example

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:02 am

In this specific case, the gcc and the esp-idf version are usable with eachother, so you shouldn't have any issues.

For the other error, I have no experience with a Windows host but this may help: https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/issues/1137

WiFive

Postby WiFive » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:21 am

It means run mingw32.exe to get the shell

mzimmers

Postby mzimmers » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:58 pm

Thank you both for the replies. I'd forgotten that I needed to use the 32 bit version of msys when using the idf, and I'll ignore the version mismatch warning.

Now I'm getting this error:
File "C:/msys32/mingw32/lib/python2.7/site-packages/serial/serialwin32.py", line 62, in open
raise SerialException("could not open port {!r}: {!r}".format(self.portstr, ctypes.WinError()))
serial.serialutil.SerialException: could not open port 'C:/msys32/dev/ttyUSB0': WindowsError(2, 'The system cannot find the file specified.')
And, indeed, there is no ttyUSB0 entry in c:/msys32/dev. Did I miss a step where I need to create these devices for msys?

I do have an Xubuntu system available to me. Would I be better off using this for my esp32 development/debugging?

Thanks...

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:16 am

Not sure about the error, but with the current state of things, if you're equally comfortable with that OS, you may want to switch to Xubuntu indeed. Specifically, compilation is way faster on Linux for the time being.

ESP_igrr

Postby ESP_igrr » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:31 am

No need to switch to Linux to correct the port error :) In msys, use native windows port names, such as COM1, instead of /dev/ttyUSBx. You can either set the port in menuconfig, or set it via ESPPORT environment variable (export ESPPORT=COMx).

mzimmers

Postby mzimmers » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:10 pm

ESP_igrr - thanks. I remembered that shortly after I posted, but since I'm new to the forum my posts have to be approved before they appear, so I couldn't edit my question. Thanks.

ESP_Sprite - I'm reasonably comfortable working in a Linux environment. Most important to me is which host is likely to have the better development tools in the future. I'm accustomed to working in IDEs, and doing cross development to hosts. I know we can't yet do this with the ESP32, so I'm wondering which development platform (Windows or Linux) is likely to see the earliest enhancements.

Thanks...