Log message: closing session. What does this mean?

rwel59

Log message: closing session. What does this mean?

Postby rwel59 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:10 pm

Trying to debug some very intermittent issues and I got the following on my log monitor. After these messages printed, the app picked back up and ran normally:

closing session 4
closing session
cleaning session

Does anyone have any idea what these messages refer to so that I can try and troubleshoot?

kolban

Re: Log message: closing session. What does this mean?

Postby kolban » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:01 pm

Unfortunately without more context it is likely going to be quite hard to assist. Log messages (by their nature) are issued from the software. It is possible that these messages are being issued from the application you are running. Without more information on the nature of that application it isn't going to be easy to advise on what the messages might mean.
Free book on ESP32 available here: https://leanpub.com/kolban-ESP32

rwel59

Postby rwel59 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:43 pm

not quite sure what you mean by 'the application'. I've got putty monitoring the esp32 (espidf) so this has to be an esp32 message, correct?

correction. now I get what you're meaning. Just did a global search on the message and found it in the paho mqtt library. thanks for the boost Neil

kolban

Postby kolban » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:13 pm

Apologies for the lack of clarity on my last post but glad you got there. Finding the source and context of the messages will give us more "vectors" to go and study. By learning that they come from MQTT we can now go and contextually research what might cause those messages from the MQTT library. There are most definitely messages that can and are issued from the ESP32 / ESP-IDF itself. The ESP-IDF logging APIs provides the ability to tag messages with information about their sources ... unfortunately this is not always followed and for 3rd party libraries that are cross platform, the logging of messages might be simple "printf" statements that don't indicate their origination.
Free book on ESP32 available here: https://leanpub.com/kolban-ESP32