Question to esp32-cam-demo

Oitzu-

Question to esp32-cam-demo

Postby Oitzu- » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:32 pm

Hi,
i'm new to the esp32 and also never done anything meaningful with the esp8266.
I was studying the esp32-cam-demo source code and some questions occured.
Maybe someone can enlighten me.

What i don't quite understand why "s_dma_buf"/"s_dma_desc" ist defined/used 3 items big or at which times the different items are used.
Also i don't quite understand why the corresponding buffer is line_width * 4 big.
I understand that the used i2s interface gives out 16bit instead the used 8bit but don't quite understand the numbers, or the complete flow of data.

ESP_igrr

Re: Question to esp32-cam-demo

Postby ESP_igrr » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:41 pm

Actually, s_dma_buf has two elements, these are two DMA buffers used in a round robin fashion.
Each buffer needs to hold one scan line of an image. Each pixel is represented with two bytes read sequentially from the camera. As you have mentioned, I2S peripheral stores 16 bits of data at a time even if only 8 data inputs are connected to the camera. So the size of the buffer is line_width * bytes_per_pixel * 2, i.e. line_width * 4.

The data written to s_dma_buf is processed by line_filter_task: luminance component is extracted and stored into the frame buffer. This happens while the next scan line is being filled by the I2S peripheral.

Oitzu-

Postby Oitzu- » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:45 pm

Oh... i was totally focused on 3 buffers, (i don't know why..) and was therefore completly confused by the index flipping between 0 and 1.
I was also confused why the final fb seems to be smaller as "height * (line buffer - 16)", but only using the luminance component of the pixels explain this.

Thank you. :)

Oitzu-

Postby Oitzu- » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:51 pm

Another question:
I see that the interrupt "ETS_I2S0_INUM" is triggered by the (falling?) edge of WS (PCLK).
I'm looking into also capturing JPEG frames, i see that falling vsync edge is captured with a loop looking at the gpio level.
Would it also be possible to use an interrupt to trigger an interrupt on vsync to also stop jpeg capturing?
Or should i better look if an JPEG footer happens in the incoming data?

The JPEG transmitting seems kinda tricky and partly undefined to me.

To the long cable problem that happened to you: Could this probably also be a timing issue?

Oitzu-

Postby Oitzu- » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:52 am

Are there performance reasons that every second line is skipped and the previous line is copied in place or is this just to ease the "ascii-conversion" that happens later?

ESP_igrr

Postby ESP_igrr » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:03 am

Yes, I think I was initially writing this code when only 80MHz clock frequency was available, so I had to skip every other scan line to keep up with frame rate.

Regarding I2S interrupt, it gets triggered when given number of samples have been received. The number of samples is written into I2S_RXEOF_NUM_REG before starting I2S.