Open source WLAN/BT firmware, possible ?

wpwrak

Open source WLAN/BT firmware, possible ?

Postby wpwrak » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:56 am

[ I posted this also at http://www.esp8266.com - not sure to what extent audiences overlap. ]

I'm researching chips for a project (the Anelok password safe, anelok.com) that requires wireless communication, where it must be possible to have an Open Source solution for all major software components, including communication stacks. I wonder if the ESP32 may meet this requirement.

Specifically,
- it must be possible to change the wireless firmware during development and in the field,
- the interface for doing so must be fully documented and not require proprietary tools or secrets,
- the register interface of the radio hardware (RF control, MAC, etc.) must be publicly documented, or
- example code that uses the register interface must be publicly available.

Note that it's not necessary that an Open Source stack is actually available, just the information needed to develop one. (And yes, I know that such a networking stack isn't something you write in an afternoon :)

As an example, the Nordic nRF51 (BT) would meet the project's openness requirement: while Nordic's libraries are closed source, the register interface of the radio is documented (and there is now even an independently developed stack).

Any ideas ?

Thanks,
- Werner

ESP_igrr

Re: Open source WLAN/BT firmware, possible ?

Postby ESP_igrr » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:54 am

Currently we don't have plans to provide register level documentation for ESP32 radios and MACs.
We are looking for ways to enable fully open source stacks for the future products though.