ESP32 Development Board does not power on from USB

irrintxi

ESP32 Development Board does not power on from USB

Postby irrintxi » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:28 am

Hi,
I have this esp32 dev. board (it is my first esp32 board)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-ES ... 4c4dDESccQ

When I connect it my Pc USB, the power led flashes twice and then goes immediately off.
According to what I have read, this power LED should be ON when power connected (this is the first test to be done to check the board works well….??)
I have also tried to connect to a 2A 5v power supply (usb power supply) but it has the same behaviour.

Any ideas?
Might be the board gone?

Regards

rontec

Re: ESP32 Development Board does not power on from USB

Postby rontec » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:03 pm

It's a good habit to always order multiple parts, especially when shipping is slow, in case you get a DOA.

Have you tried programming your ESP32? There is a small chance that your LED, and not the entire board, is defective.

irrintxi

Postby irrintxi » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:13 pm

rontec wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:03 pm
It's a good habit to always order multiple parts, especially when shipping is slow, in case you get a DOA.

Have you tried programming your ESP32? There is a small chance that your LED, and not the entire board, is defective.
Hi and thanks for the reply.

I haven't tried to program it because the board is not even recognized by the PC........

More information:
When connected to the USB, I have check the 3v pins on the ESP32 is OK.
GND in the ESP is also OK,
3v pin on the board is OK
5v pin on the board is OK.

The GND pins of the board, however..... One of them is OK but not the other. One of the GND pins are connected (I have checked with continuity test) to all the other GNDs but the other shows not continuity…..

rontec

Postby rontec » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:14 am

It sounds to me like you have a defective PCB, which is more likely than a defective chip.
You should contact the seller, they will probably send you a new one for free.

irrintxi

Postby irrintxi » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:06 pm

Yes, I also think so.

What I have found up to now (It might help others purchasing the same board...) is that..... AMAZILY the boar print pin descriptions do not match the REAL ESP32 pins functions!!!!! That is why one of the “GND” pins is not a real GND…….. This pin noted as GND is connected to the GND route but to other ESP32 pin.

To use this board, it will be necessary to check pin to pin to check which on the board correspond, really, to the ESP32. Amazing but true!
Not all the pins are mismatch but some.

The GND side of the power LED has not good conductivity to board GND neither…..
I would better purchase a new board……