ESP32-A1S and esp-adf

Lemonto

ESP32-A1S and esp-adf

Postby Lemonto » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:02 am

Hi.

Some of you might have noticed, that you can now buy ESP32 boards with I2S codecs, and even ESP32 modules with integrated codes (ESP32-A1S).
To support audio functions, including mp3 and aac file playback and streaming, as well as cloud services, there's an audio SDK called esp-adf.

You might imagine, that adding those functions to Micropython would be really cool.

What I don't know (yet) is, how the audio SDK differs from the standard SDK, and why EspressIf put the audio functions into a separare SDK at all.

Also, I don't know, how hard it would be to add I2S and audio decoding to Micropython.

What I've done so far, is compiling the examples for the AIThinker A1S development board.

I guess it would be possible to start a FreeRTOS task from Micropython, that handles audio decoding and playback.

Any thoughts?

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32-A1S and esp-adf

Postby ESP_Sprite » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:14 pm

The ADK is not a separate SDK from ESP-IDF, the ADK sits 'on top of' ESP-IDF to provide audio functionality. It should be doable to provide hooks for the ADK to MicroPython, although I'm not sure if everything will comfortably fit memory-wise.