WiPhone (an ESP32 VoIP phone)

WiPhone

WiPhone (an ESP32 VoIP phone)

Postby WiPhone » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:47 am

This is an attempt to make a phone that does what hackers want, instead of a data extraction and tracking device optimized for marketers, tracking networks, giant corporations, etc...

The hardware is relatively simple:

The back of the phone can be used as a prototyping area, or to expand the phone capabilities:

And the assembled phone has a see-through front, because we like hardware:

Currently debugging the (hopefully) last prototype electronics. The phone can already be used with a commercial VoIP provider, and we made a bunch of add-on boards, which we call daughterboards.

Future plans include MicroPython, OTA firmware updates, and producing real phones people can buy.

mikemoy

Re: WiPhone (an ESP32 VoIP phone)

Postby mikemoy » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:13 pm

I have a client that would very much be interested in this. What codecs does it currently support?

WiPhone

Postby WiPhone » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:29 pm

Right now G.722. G.711 probably soon. SILK/Opus maybe, depending on how successful the project is.

mikemoy

Postby mikemoy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:19 pm

Is the software going to be open source or for sale ?

WiPhone

Postby WiPhone » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:57 pm

Both?... Maybe?

Currently we are likely to go with a dual licensing model of some sort, but it's subject to change. We need to get through the product launch before we have time to figure out licensing and how to release the software.

mikemoy

Postby mikemoy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:53 pm

Got it. Well keep us posted. I would really like to buy that kit or phone when it comes out.
P.S. check your Private Message.

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:13 am

@WiPhone
Nice Work!
i want 3 items of this for testings (lab) - when you start to sell or how we can buy?
do you can add one things to a custom to do list?
+ add a cam whole in front ( ESP-EYE / ESP-CAM ) for IP video chat!
( in the meantime/meanwhile can be connected over the developer board i think )

IP video chat - it is likewise this with IP CAM Viewer - just in time - it is 320x240, work just in time on 160x120 and messenger txt window, the visavi over wifi ip vid chat works with I2S ICS mic's great in 160x120.

best wishes
rudi ;-)
-------------------------------------
love it, change it or leave it.
-------------------------------------
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

WiPhone

Postby WiPhone » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:47 pm

Thanks! Glad you like the project. We hope people find it useful.

We will start a crowdfunding campaign March first, so you can buy them then.

There are more details about the phone here:
http://a.wiphone.io

Or if you want, we have a mailing list:
http://eepurl.com/dGOa8X
(if you get a phone during crowdfunding and you were on the mailing list before crowdfunding begins, we will upgrade you to a larger battery for free and you'll also get your phone sooner)

We are listening to everyone's suggestions for daughterboards, and if enough people want a camera we could add one. However, the bandwidth requirements for a normal camera might be a bit high given the pins we have available. A very low resolution camera like that one you linked might work OK.

Odiansoen

Postby Odiansoen » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:11 am

Do you think it will be possible to interface it with MQTT, so calls can be made or picked up via MQTT?

WiPhone

Postby WiPhone » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:20 pm

I don't know enough about MQTT to say, but there are a few MQTT ESP32 libraries already available. Using MQTT to trigger making a call or answering one seems like it wouldn't be a major undertaking, but really you'd need to read through the available libraries documentation to say for sure.

If you want to use MQTT for the call itself I don't know enough about the protocol to say.