BOOT: to press or not to press.

stamasd

BOOT: to press or not to press.

Postby stamasd » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:37 am

Not a big issue, but I noticed something strange with the ESP32 Devkit V1. I develop on my laptop which is dual-boot (Windows and Linux). Using Arduino v.1.8.9 on both.

When I develop in Linux and compile/upload a sketch, I don't have to press BOOT on the ESP32 board to upload.
When I develop in Windows, I do need to press BOOT for the upload to complete or else it fails.
This of course happens with the same board, same computer, same cable etc - only the OS is different.

Just curious why this happens.

ESP_krzychb

Re: BOOT: to press or not to press.

Postby ESP_krzychb » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:03 am

Hi stamasd,

I see you are using V1 version of ESP32-DevKitC. This is fairly old version and I believe related description and fix specific for Windows is covered in https://github.com/espressif/esptool/issues/136.

Try adding a capacitor as discussed in this issue report and the issue will likely be resolved.

stamasd

Postby stamasd » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:41 am

Thank you for the reply. Like I said it's not a major issue and I don't mind pressing the button if I have to. I was just curious why the behavior is different on the 2 operating systems. That thread explained it. Thanks again.

weeblebiker

Postby weeblebiker » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:54 pm

I have a similar issue.
loading the same sketch on the same wrover-e esp32 board with two different windows laptops both running 11 and the same version 2.0.3 of Arduino IDE, one requires me to hold the unused gpio0 low, the other does not.
I'd prefer not since there is no button, but cannot find the difference between the two IDEs