eclipse setup

NitecSoftware

eclipse setup

Postby NitecSoftware » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:30 pm

HI
I want to use Eclipse IDE on Windows. I am setting up the environment as per the web page. It says to include the path xtensa-esp32-elf. This is not installed or I cannot locate it. I followed the initialization instructions, but it didn't mention anything about installing this tool chain.

Is xtensa needed? If so where are the download/installation instructions for this?

Thanks,
Malcolm

papaluna

Re: eclipse setup

Postby papaluna » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:32 pm

--
Paul.

monkey

Re: eclipse setup

Postby monkey » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:05 pm

@NitecSoftware You've probably done some great research (head scratching) about what toolchain to use. I'm just asking myself the same question (Eclipse / Platformio / VS Code)??? Which makes you uniquely qualified to give advice! Is Eclipse the best way to go for working on ESP32 with Amazon FreeRTOS. Does it all work well? Could you share some of your findings / advice?

@papaluna As the seasoned pro, mind if I ask which way you'd push new users? I've worked in Texas instruments CCS (Eclipse based), and also did a few weeks on platformio for ESP8266. If you had to rank the best and most intuitive toolchain to work on ESP32 with Amazon Free RTOS?

I know this question may be perceived as very newbie. But think of it this way: the winner of every formula one race for the last 4 years was the guy in the best car. What I'm really asking is which IDE is the fastest, has best handling and is most reliable.