dangerous relocation: l32r: literal target out of range (try using text-section-literals)

permal

Re: dangerous relocation: l32r: literal target out of range (try using text-section-literals)

Postby permal » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:26 pm

I'm building from master. Though I haven't pushed the code that causes the linker error to GH yet.

rudi ;-)

Re: dangerous relocation: l32r: literal target out of range (try using text-section-literals)

Postby rudi ;-) » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:58 pm

permal wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:26 pm
I'm building from master. Though I haven't pushed the code that causes the linker error to GH yet.
not there it is a must to use IRAM_ATTR and other optimize tricks what IDF has, ( taken from the linked things in first post ) , i did search in the code for this and found (only) 2 things which are land in the IRAM section
sATTR.png
sATTR.png (13.82 KiB) Viewed 9638 times
it is not a must to use it - but sometime like igrr wrote you must think over in the project to use it ( better )

when was the build error comes? what did you change from runing build to the error build?
setups in menuconfig different`?

will try to look deeper in the repo next time.
best wishes
rudi ;-)
-------------------------------------
love it, change it or leave it.
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

permal

Postby permal » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:25 pm

The linker error comes with the changed in the first and only commit of this branch: https://github.com/PerMalmberg/IO-Card- ... nker-error.

permal

Postby permal » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:53 pm

Progress!

Apparently, target_link_options doesn't do what I expect, or I'm using it wrongly.

This doesn't work:

Code: Select all

target_link_options(${PROJECT_NAME} PUBLIC -mlongcalls -mtext-section-literals)
This, however, does:

if(${ESP_PLATFORM})
    set(CMAKE_C_FLAGS "${CMAKE_C_FLAGS} -mlongcalls -mtext-section-literals")
    set(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS} -mlongcalls -mtext-section-literals")
endif()
Both the C and C++ version has to be set. Note that this is only when building for Xtensa (if you are also compiling for Linux like I am).

Surely modern CMake scripts are not meant to use CMAKE_C_FLAGS directly and instead use target_link_libraries?!

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:21 pm

on your success compile build ( earlier or just now )
can you please run build target size
..make size

and post the info likewise

Total sizes:
 DRAM .data size:    7848 bytes
 DRAM .bss  size:    4176 bytes
Used static DRAM:   12024 bytes ( 168712 available, 6.7% used)
Used static IRAM:   43124 bytes (  87948 available, 32.9% used)
      Flash code:   81548 bytes
    Flash rodata:   40692 bytes
Total image size:~ 173212 bytes (.bin may be padded larger)
txs
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

permal

Postby permal » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:36 pm

make: *** No rule to make target 'size'. Stop.
I think it fails because of similar issues as outlined in this GH issue: https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/issues/3677 but I haven't managed to figure it out yet.

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:12 pm

permal wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:36 pm
I think it fails because of similar issues as outlined in this GH issue: https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/issues/3677 but I haven't managed to figure it out yet.
ok - i see ..

.. can you please make a dump like this and post the success version of you last success build before the problem comes?

run from toolchain and point to the success .elf file you build
example ( i use here a windows pc and looks like this: )

C:\msys32\opt\xtensa-esp32-elf\bin>xtensa-esp32-elf-objdump -h H:\GEEK2\build\hello-world.elf
result example:
deb_.png
deb_.png (87.29 KiB) Viewed 9616 times
txs
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:51 pm

permal wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:36 pm

ok -
if you could run the tool from command line
you can use this command: xtensa-esp32-elf-size
and your created .elf file from project

( here i use windows pc, cmd in a window box, cd to the toolchain tools )

C:\msys32\opt\xtensa-esp32-elf\bin>xtensa-esp32-elf-size H:\GEEK2\build\hello-world.elf
if you have more *.elf for the project you can sum the things like (windows) this

C:\msys32\opt\xtensa-esp32-elf\bin>xtensa-esp32-elf-size -t H:\GEEK2\build\hello-world.elf H:\GEEK2\build\hello-world-kopie.elf
result then likewise this
deb_2.png
deb_2.png (67.24 KiB) Viewed 9611 times
best wishes
rudi ;-)
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

permal

Postby permal » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:01 pm

Here's the dump as am attached file. 6.5M so a bit too much to post as text.

Size:

text data bss dec hex filename
2060236 812740 32592 2905568 2c55e0 g3
2060236 812740 32592 2905568 2c55e0 (TOTALS)
Attachments
dump.txt
(6.5 MiB) Downloaded 596 times

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:57 pm

txs,

did you start to optimization the code?
further option /

Xtensa Option
-gcc4.1.2

-mtext-section-literals
-mno-text-section-literals
Control the treatment of literal pools. The default is -mno-text-section-literals, which places literals in a separate section in the output file. This allows the literal pool to be placed in a data RAM/ROM, and it also allows the linker to combine literal pools from separate object files to remove redundant literals and improve code size. With -mtext-section-literals, the literals are interspersed in the text section in order to keep them as close as possible to their references. This may be necessary for large assembly files...

further

...where the literals would otherwise be out of range of the L32R instructions in the text section. Literals are grouped into pools following .literal_position directives or preceding ENTRY instructions. These options only affect literals referenced via PC-relative L32R instructions; literals for absolute mode L32R instructions are handled separately. See literal.

btw i am missings this description of Xtensa-Options in ESP-IDF or i did not found/read yet
so i did link to gnu.org and a third , perhabs a good point to point out What to do if we run "literal target out of range"
tips and tricks for code optimization, perhabs a good point for the ESP32 Question section what you mean @esp_igrr,
this can be a new section perhabs in the ESP-IDF about code optimization and perhabs we get code analysis tools :D

so long, will study the repo,

looks (little usorted unbalanced) big..

text data bss dec hex filename
2060236 812740 32592 2905568 2c55e0 g3
2060236 812740 32592 2905568 2c55e0 (TOTALS)

best wishes
rudi ;-)
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪