WiFi Mesh using ESP

hetal.panara82

WiFi Mesh using ESP

Postby hetal.panara82 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:37 am

Hello There,

I am developing a solution to build wifi mesh and looking at ESP chipset for building wifi mesh.
My requirement is,
1. one gateway node which will have GSM/GPRS connectivity and will connect with root node of wifi mesh
2. I will use esp modules to form mesh network and these mesh nodes should work as accesspoint for end devices (ie. mobile) and allow internet access to the end devices.
3. Along with ESP chipset on mesh node, I have a controller connected to various sensors. Sensor data needs to be sent to cloud server. ESP module should provide UART interface so that controller can send the sensor data to cloud server (since it already have internet connectivity being in wifi mesh)

Any suggestion for specific ESP chipset? can I achieve my requirements using ESP8266?

Thanks in advance!
/Hp

ESP_LBB

Re: WiFi Mesh using ESP

Postby ESP_LBB » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:28 pm

Hello,

1. ESP-MESH is developped based on ESP32, any ESP32 related module/development board can be used to develop mesh application, but I'm afraid ESP8266 is not supported;

2. Your 1,3 requirements can be meet, however the 2nd is not supported by our current official version. Maybe you can describe your scenario and we can togrther come up with an idea.

hetal.panara82

Postby hetal.panara82 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:06 am

Hi,

Thanks!
We have chosen ESP32 module based on your inputs.

Regarding the second point I mentioned, I have a ublox wifi chip which provides the internet over wifi. So, expectation is that the Mesh network will get internet connectivity using ublox wifi chipset.

I need clarification on couple of things,
I have received esp32 module and trying to set it up. I see that there are many examples available which can be used.
However, in my requirement, I do not want to customize or program any customization in ESP32.

I am planning to use that only for..

1. Establishing wifi-mesh so that I can extend the wifi connectivity and devices little remote from the wifi gateway should be able to access internet.
2. communicate with root node for some configuration.

I am expecting that software required for ESP32 to be used as soft-ap and Mesh networking is readily available and I have to just program the chip, make some configuration and that's it :)

Is my understanding/expectations are right? OR I will have to develop ANY application for Mesh and soft-ap requirement?

I have downloaded tools and setup dev environment using which I could compile and flash "hello world" program. However I am looking for the software components for Mesh and soft-ap, where can I find them? Again, does it require any customization?

What is the interface ESP32 will have with my controller? is it AT command over uart interface?

Thanks
/Hp

hetal.panara82

Postby hetal.panara82 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:11 am

Ohh do you mean to say that Mesh can be formed but internet access to the end device not possible through mesh?

hetal.panara82

Postby hetal.panara82 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:32 pm

Which is the best place to refer the latest software support and features with respect to Mesh network?
Attached is the diagram for my requirement, please comment if
1. Mesh nodes can work as access point for end devices ie. mobile
2. Mobile devices can have seamless internet through Mesh Node accesspoint

Is there any call support for India where I can call to discuss the solution?

Thanks
/Hp

ESP_LBB

Postby ESP_LBB » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:10 am

Hello,

Sorry ESP-Mesh is not designed to act as an AP for mobile(if you mean smartphone), it only allows Mesh devices to connect to internet.

hetal.panara82

Postby hetal.panara82 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:15 am

Any suggestions for another chipset to get the functionality of connecting mobile for internet access with Mesh nodes?

ESP_LBB

Postby ESP_LBB » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:14 pm

Sorry, it's not because of the chipset, just ESP-MESH protocol is not designed for mobile to connect to Internet through mesh node, so we can't support this.