ESP32 NimBLE Controller

Elivander Pereira

ESP32 NimBLE Controller

Postby Elivander Pereira » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:16 pm

Hello!

My name is Elivander, and I'm student of Master Degree course on telecommunications. I'm trying to evaluate some theories in congnitive radio using the ESP32 board.

I'm trying to use the bluetooth protocol, which have the AFH algorithm (Adaptative Frequency Hopping). My main issue is how to get the information of the channel map from the Controller layer, more detailed, from the Link Layer, and provide the channel map data to my application. The channel map will simulate my spectrum sensing information.

I found inside the NimBLE stack the code that can be used to call the channel map, but I can't found this inside the ESP-IDF Bluetooth Controller code, can I use the NimBLE controller with the ESP32?

I found what I want in the "ble_ll_ctrl.c" file in lines 1515 - 1534. Available at https://github.com/apache/mynewt-nimble ... roller/src

Or can somebody help me to know where or how can i found the channel map data with the ESP-IDF?

Thanks!

captain_morgan

Re: ESP32 NimBLE Controller

Postby captain_morgan » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:08 pm

I can only answer part of your question...
can I use the NimBLE controller with the ESP32?
Yes, I'm using it presently and find it easier to work with then the Bluedroid stack.

I do not believe it has made it into a release yet, so you will likely have to use the master branch.

The documentation to get started with it are here and the latest master branch has example in $IDF_PATH/examples/bluetooth/nimble

ESP_sushant

Postby ESP_sushant » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:25 am

Hi Elivander,
ESP32-IDF supports Nimble Host stack only.
You can use ble_hs_hci_read_chan_map(...) API from the NIBLE host (please check components/bt/host/nimble/nimble/nimble/host/include/host/ble_hs_hci.h for more info) and it should work with ESP32-IDF BLE controller code. Let us know if you face any problem using this.

Note: ESP32 BLE controller code is not open-source and it is not included in ESP32-IDF.

Thanks,
Sushant

Elivander Pereira

Postby Elivander Pereira » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:35 am

ESP_sushant wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:25 am
Hi Elivander,
ESP32-IDF supports Nimble Host stack only.
You can use ble_hs_hci_read_chan_map(...) API from the NIBLE host (please check components/bt/host/nimble/nimble/nimble/host/include/host/ble_hs_hci.h for more info) and it should work with ESP32-IDF BLE controller code. Let us know if you face any problem using this.

Note: ESP32 BLE controller code is not open-source and it is not included in ESP32-IDF.

Thanks,
Sushant
Thank you very much! This helped me so much. I'll try to implement it.