how to configure PlatformIO ESP32 project for CoreDump

Mark1D

how to configure PlatformIO ESP32 project for CoreDump

Postby Mark1D » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:00 pm

Hello,
I am trying to troubleshoot some problems in an ESP32 project. I am using PlatformIO. How do I configure my project to save core dumps to flash and then how do read out those core dumps? Any assistance/pointers is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
mark

gunar.kroeger

Re: how to configure PlatformIO ESP32 project for CoreDump

Postby gunar.kroeger » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:08 pm

You have to enable core dump to flash in menuconfig, edit the partitions.csv to include a coredump partition and then call espcoredump.py

It's described in this page: https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... _dump.html

I've tried to follow these steps this weekends but was unable to read out the dump after the crash happend, so if you learn the tricks, please share them (:
"Running was invented in 1612 by Thomas Running when he tried to walk twice at the same time."

Mark1D

Postby Mark1D » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:03 pm

Thanks. but what is menuconfig? that is not obviously available in PlatformIO. Sorry for being daft, but I inherited this project from someone and did not set it up from scratch.
Also, this project started as an Arduino project, so it is not a pure ESP-IDF project, if that matters.

mikemoy

Postby mikemoy » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:12 am

menuconfig, is how you configure the many, many settings of the ESP32. You can kind of think of it as the BIOS for the ESP32.
have a look at this post
viewtopic.php?t=7416

One huge problem using Arduino for the ESP32 is that many of these settings are fixed, and most users are not even aware of them. PlatformIO is a great IDE, but sadly the lack of implementing a way to edit settings in menuconfig killed it for me.

Mark1D

Postby Mark1D » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:05 pm

Question: is it Arduino that fixes many of the config options, or is it that PlatformIO does not expose them for editing? changing IDEs is easy, but I am uncomfortable switching off of Arduino platform at this stage of development.

Can esp-idf be used seamlessly with arduino? that is, can I install the esp-idf tools and use them in conjunction with Arduino platform?

thanks for the help.

Mark

mikemoy

Postby mikemoy » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:29 pm

Question: is it Arduino that fixes many of the config options, or is it that PlatformIO does not expose them for editing?
It's both. Arduino has fixed values which is in and of itself a messed up idea. I am not sure why PlatformIO does not allow it because I use VisualStudio Code, and have hotkeys to get to it.
an esp-idf be used seamlessly with arduino?
Search the forums here. I have seen a couple times at least where we were told that using ESP-IDF you can use Arduino code style in IDF.
I have no tried it though.

HankLloydRight

Postby HankLloydRight » Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:53 pm

mikemoy wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:29 pm
It's both. Arduino has fixed values which is in and of itself a messed up idea. I am not sure why PlatformIO does not allow it because I use VisualStudio Code, and have hotkeys to get to it.
I'm using VSC with PIO and Arduino platform -- what hot keys get you to menuconfig?

I'm also trying to configure my project to enable coredump, but can't find any way to do so.

Thank you.