Could Espressif reach out to PlatformIO

username

Could Espressif reach out to PlatformIO

Postby username » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:33 pm

First I have to say that the ESP32 has by far been the best embedded IC I have used in over 20 years!! I have switched all projects to this IC over all other ones we have used at the company. Even projects that have no use for Wi-Fi or BT. Why? because Its just a amazing IC, and very low cost.

The only issue i see for new people looking into getting starting with the ESP32 is getting the compiler / GUI editor setup properly.
Over this past year I have tried many solutions. IMHO, PlatformIO has been the best free solution. Sadly the only issue is the lack of a way to make changes to menuconfig.

I am wondering if somebody from Espressif could reach out to them to help them understand how important it is to be able to modify and make changes to menuconfig. There are allot of awesome settings in there that when using default settings just dont cut it.

chegewara

Re: Could Espressif reach out to PlatformIO

Postby chegewara » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:49 pm

Maybe its not very intuitive but you can edit sdkconfig.h or try to use build_flags= in platformio.ini.

username

Postby username » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:02 pm

Maybe its not very intuitive but you can edit sdkconfig.h or try to use build_flags= in platformio.ini.
This is true, but as you said its not intuitive.

WiFive

Postby WiFive » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:56 pm

Supposedly esp-idf is switching to a python based menuconfig which platformio is more likely to support. But it might be a while until it is in a stable release.