UART hardware flow control

zliudr

UART hardware flow control

Postby zliudr » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:40 pm

I'm trying to use hardware flow control. I'm expected to use DTR/DSR flow control but it seems ESP32 has RTS/CTS flow control. If I understand this correctly, say PC will assert RTS and waits for ESP to assert CTS before it sends data. This works like DTR/DSR, IF, ESP32 is acting like a DCE, or a device compared to a PC, which is DTE. What if I want ESP to be the DTE and only send data when the other party, say a lowly ATMEGA328, has time to read serial port? Thank you!

I didn't find the reference in the manual. Would be nice to know where to read. I'll read the technical reference manual again maybe I missed. The API reference doesn't seem to explain how hardware flow control works on ESP32.

zliudr

Re: UART hardware flow control

Postby zliudr » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:55 am

On ESP32 Technical Reference Manual V4.1, page 360, I see there are DTR, DSR, RTS, CTS. They are all read-only bits and referred to as internal. Does ESP32 hardware implement DTR DSR lines at all? Page 342 has a diagram. It only has RTS and CTS connected to HW_Flow_Ctrl block. I guess only these two lines are brought to GPIO pins, settable by uart_set_pin. I don't have to use DTR/DSR if I can use RTS and CTS for the same flow control, i.e. assert RTS when ESP32 is ready to receive data, send data only if CTS is asserted. Correct?

zliudr

Postby zliudr » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:35 pm

On ESP32 data sheet, GPIO_Matrix, there are U0DSR and U0DTR but not for U1 or U2. Also the uart_set_pins() doesn't take DSR or DTR pins. Is U0 different from U1 and U2? I read U2 has some simplifications.

PeterR

Postby PeterR » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:26 am

Hi,
Left field: Why do you think that you need such tight DTR/DSR? They are really old school signals for back in the day 8080 etc limited processing equipment & perhaps without hardware 8251 support. I have not needed either since the 80's.
The ESP should always be DTR (and I would bet large that any device which needs DTR will have a baud rate <19,200) and so I would imagine that you could just start transmission (1 byte at a time) when signaled. You will have <100uS latency between bytes when polling from an ISR. Perhaps you don't need to send immediately (remember old school, slow as ....). DTR is just a flag which says that its ok to send - (your unstated application requirements determine needed throughput so I cannot be sure).
So whilst the detailed answer depends on your throughput requirement i would very much suspect that a DTR/DSR solution is not throughput sensitive.
Boiling my understanding down then this might be a simple task which sends a byte when Ok to send?
PS I often get my DTE/DCE the wrong way around but basically hardware flow control has become a non issue as processing power and hardware USART support (with FIFO) have arrived (post 80's) & assuming low baud rates.
Please quote your throughput & bauds etc.
& I also believe that IDF CAN should be fixed.

zliudr

Postby zliudr » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:34 am

Hi PeterR,

Thanks for your response! My project includes communicating with printers via the RS-232 port. THese printers have clearly marked DTR/DSR signals. From their pinouts, it seems that these printers consider themselves as DTEs instead of DCEs. The main reason they have hardware/software flow control is you could potentially fill up the buffer while the printer is busy printing. I've observed occasional DTR toggling but it's only very brief, like 1 byte. It's indeed old.

Anyway, I managed to use RTS/CTS on ESP32 as DTR/DSR. It seems to work. Stream of data stop coming in when I de-assert DTR on my PC. I didn't test the reverse direction but assume it's working.

zliudr

Postby zliudr » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:59 am

So I did some tests with my logic analyzer. You have to set .rx_flow_ctrl_thresh in uart_config, which I didn't see it explained except an example just sets it to 122 without any mention what and why. If I set it to 64, ESP32 de-asserts RTS exactly after 64 bytes. This is undesirable because I think ESP has 128 bytes of hardware buffer and pausing until my task loop reads the port wastes time. I then adjusted it to 110. Now 110 bytes and a shorter de-assertion period. This is already acceptable considering the alternative is probably setting .rx_flow_ctrl_thresh too high so it always fills hardware buffer that triggers interrupt/DMA. If the processor is stuck then host side will not know. Anyway, HW flow control is a neat feature. I also corrected my misconception that ESP32 somehow keeps removing bytes from hardware RX buffer into its uart driver's memory buffer. I guess only when hardware buffer is full, an interrupt is generated (there are so many of them compared with an atmega) and the entire hardware buffer is emptied.