i really need help returning my esp32-wrover-b to factory settings

AlexPrime17

i really need help returning my esp32-wrover-b to factory settings

Postby AlexPrime17 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:09 am

I am using the esp32-wrover-b module for my final project. i unfortunately assigned pin GPIO12 and changed the pull value to HIGH which has cause the module to be stuck in a state where its not accepting a new upload.

i have tried everything I have found so far including using the esptool to try and flash the firmware and flash storage but nothing works.

I still get the error message: A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP32: Timed out waiting for packet header

I would really appreciate if anyone can point me to the instructions of how to reset the entire module to factory settings as if it just came out of the package.

Time is against me and my project submission. Please help !

ESP_Sprite

Re: i really need help returning my esp32-wrover-b to factory settings

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:12 am

I assume that 'changed the pull value on GPIO12 to high' is something you did in software? If so, that's likely not the issue you're running into, as that only takes effect *after* boot, while the bootstrap pins are read *before* boot. Suggest you make sure that IO0/EN signals are correct; worst case hardwire IO0 to be low and make EN low momentarily to reset the chip.

AlexPrime17

Postby AlexPrime17 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:21 pm

thank you for the response but i have tried all things. nothing works.
I have grounded the EN pin, GPIO0 pin, still nothing

Is there a way to set back the module to factory settings by it wiping clean and restoring it to default?

please advise

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:32 pm

There is not because normally it is not necessary; the bootloader is in ROM and should always be able to be invoked (and you can't delete/erase/modify it, it's ROM). I suggest it's way more likely that you have a hardware issue on your hands.

chegewara

Postby chegewara » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:25 pm

There is 2 questions:
- what did you do exactly to pullup GPIO12
- how did you proceed with EN and GPIO0 to make it into download mode

The correct procedure is to connect EN and GPIO0 to GND then disconnect EN and leave is floating then eventually disconnect GPIO0 from GND.

Answering point 1:
if it is hardware pullup, then you can eventually change flash voltage in efuse and then esp32 will ignore GPIO12 state.