(solved) standalone manufacturing

mzimmers

(solved) standalone manufacturing

Postby mzimmers » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:18 pm

Hi all -

We're ready to move into the manufacturing phase of our product. We keep the manufacturing network separate from our engineering network, so the manufacturing network has no visibility into the project tree. Our intended steps are:

- erase the flash (just in case)
- flash the master partition table
- write to a particular partition (located at 0x10000)
- flash the firmware

When we try to write (flash) the partition table, we get this error message:

Code: Select all

[13:30]cyberdata-NUC8CCHK:~/flashloader/flash_esp32$ ~/esp-idf/tools/idf.py -p /dev/ttyUSB0 partition_table-flash
Checking Python dependencies...
Python requirements from /home/cyberdata/esp-idf/requirements.txt are satisfied.
Adding partition_table-flash's dependency "partition_table" to list of actions
Executing action: partition_table
CMakeLists.txt not found in project directory /home/cyberdata/flashloader/flash_esp32
I'm sure we're not the first people to run into something like this - what's the preferred way for working around this?

Thanks...
Last edited by mzimmers on Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ESP_Sprite

Re: standalone manufacturing

Postby ESP_Sprite » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:06 am

You probably want to use esptool.py directly if you want to flash binaries. You can run 'idf.py build' on a machine with the sources installed to get an idea of the command line you'd want to use.

mzimmers

Re: standalone manufacturing

Postby mzimmers » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:34 pm

Hi Sprite -

The manufacturing engineers decided that they want to do something a little different: they want to begin with a the flash contents of a working unit that I programmed.

The intention is to flash this image on a new unit, then modify the csv file containing the device-specific parameters for the new unit, build a bin file and flash the bin file to the partition containing the device-specific parameters.

This approach concerns me a little, though I'm not really sure why. What's your opinion of doing it this way?