4.3-dev OTA update speed issue.

Justin2020

4.3-dev OTA update speed issue.

Postby Justin2020 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:55 am

I don't have much as far as information goes. Nothing is broken, just not behaving as I think it should. I'm hoping the issue I'm facing will ring a bell for someone and they'll know what I'm talking about and why. I'll try to keep it short (I'm bad at that!)

1) Back in July, first time using ESP32. I follow recommendations and install esp-idf 4.0. I'm happily doing OTA updates at 30 KB/s.
2) Sometime in August I notice 4.3-dev has server websocket support so I update to 4.3-dev and to my surprise, OTA updates are now happening at 150-180 KB/s. I start working with a ESP32-CAM and happily doing OTA updates at that speed for several weeks.
3) After a while I pull the latest version of the master branch and OTA updates are down to 30 KB/s.

I first thought I did something wrong while playing with options and what not so I thought I'd just fix that later and left it at that. But the last couple days I tried and failed miserably. I wanted that faster-than-serial programming back!

I ended up reverting to some semi-random version of esp-idf (picked one from 4 months ago, around the time I first updated to 4.3-dev (b006acbb4)) and OTA updates were back to 150 KB/s.

I don't change a single option in sdkconfig. I don't change a single line of code. I'm simply updating esp-idf to the latest master branch and OTA speed drops. I can still stream images from the camera through a websocket at 250KB/s+. It seems it's only OTA updates that 'breaks'.

Does that ring a bell for anyone?

username

Re: 4.3-dev OTA update speed issue.

Postby username » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:59 am

Its been a long while for me using OTA so I don't have any specific versions. But yes I ran into the same problem.
Had a project which OTA was very fast. Upgraded to a newer release and same thing for me did not change a line of code or anything else and after re-compiling and trying OTA its was ridiculously slow. I just wound up going back to the previous release.

Justin2020

Re: 4.3-dev OTA update speed issue.

Postby Justin2020 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:12 am

Good to know I'm not going crazy. Or at least not alone. :P