ESP32 Adding SMA Antenna only for WiFi or Bluetooth

Niltonsf

ESP32 Adding SMA Antenna only for WiFi or Bluetooth

Postby Niltonsf » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:07 am

I have been working on a project that need WiFi and Bluetooth to work together. Since ESP32 antenna works for Bluetooth and WiFi, I was wondering if I could solder a SMA antenna to the ESP board and make it work only for WiFi or only for Bluetooth, and the built in antenna to will work for only WiFi or only Bluetooth too. If it is possible would I need to change something inside Software from ESP32, or I would only need to solder the SMA antenna?

I would need to make them work together because, In my project, when the user types "delete" from the Bluetooth connection, the WiFi ssid and password are going to be deleted, so the user can type the new ssid and new password.

If you need a more specific details from my project: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/656 ... 9#65639339

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32 Adding SMA Antenna only for WiFi or Bluetooth

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:46 am

You can't separate BT and WiFi as apart from the antenna, they also share the radio they use to send and receive signals.

We have pretty good WiFi and BLE coexistence, and there is no reason why you wouldn't be able to keep a BT connection going while you disconnect and reconnect WiFi, especially if all you do is move some text over BT.

axellin

Postby axellin » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:53 am

ESP_Sprite wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:46 am
You can't separate BT and WiFi as apart from the antenna, they also share the radio they use to send and receive signals.

We have pretty good WiFi and BLE coexistence, and there is no reason why you wouldn't be able to keep a BT connection going while you disconnect and reconnect WiFi.
I heard ESP32 can not well support data transaction of Wi-Fi softAP and Bluetooth simutaneously ..
https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/is ... -745136514

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:06 am

Sure, but if you use BT to connect to an (existing I assume?) WiFi access point, you wouldn't need SoftAP.

Niltonsf

Postby Niltonsf » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:04 pm

ESP_Sprite wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:46 am

We have pretty good WiFi and BLE coexistence, and there is no reason why you wouldn't be able to keep a BT connection going while you disconnect and reconnect WiFi, especially if all you do is move some text over BT.
I haven't been able to work with that. I have attempted to, but if WiFi gets connected Bluetooth gets disconnected.