ESP32 as SPI to WiFi bridge

DanBot

ESP32 as SPI to WiFi bridge

Postby DanBot » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:49 pm

Hello guys.
I have Host MCU with LwIP stack which creates complete WiFi frames.
And i have only available SPI connection to the ESP32 module, so my question is - what is the easiest way to forward such complete packages through WiFi (to use ESP32 module as a mindless transmitter/receiver).
I already take a look on this post https://github.com/espressif/esp-at/issues/259, but this variant suggesting to use AT commands over SPI, and i already have completed TCP/IP packages, so only thing to be done - is to make them fly.

PeterR

Re: ESP32 as SPI to WiFi bridge

Postby PeterR » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:08 pm

Hey,
Your post is not very clear:
I have Host MCU with LwIP stack which creates complete WiFi frames
What is a 'complete Wifi frame' & how does having a complete Wifi frame relate to your problem?
but this variant suggesting to use AT commands over SPI, and i already have completed TCP/IP packages, so only thing to be done - is to make them fly
What packages do you have & what is 'make them fly'?

A bit of a guess but: I think that you are saying that you have a existing application (not ESP32) which uses TCP/IP to communicate with xxxx?
You now want to use the ESP32 as a Wifi bridge to xxx.
If so then you forgot to mention what the interface between your existing MCU and ESP32 would/could be.
I would assume that if the existing MCU uses TCP/IP then you might use wired Ethernet? More wires/pins than needed but keeps the original design & you don't need the magnetics on short paths.
Then the ESP might become a wired to Wifi router/bridge.
A complete guess though as your question/statements are not clear.

AT commands are fairly easy though. You should be able to abstract your original interface & so substitute an ESP32 ifs. After all a Berkley TCP/IP is just open, send/receive & close.
& I also believe that IDF CAN should be fixed.

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32 as SPI to WiFi bridge

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:01 am

You may want to take a look at ESP-Hosted - it comes pretty close to what you're trying to do (Ethernet frames instead of WiFi packets).