Azure RTOS on ESP32

OllieK

Azure RTOS on ESP32

Postby OllieK » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:02 am

I have been quite happy for FreeRTOS on ESP32. I am totally aware that it doesn't meet the stringiest real time requirements, but it has been good enough for my projects.

NXP has offered Microsoft Azure RTOS as an alternative for the Amazon FreeRTOS and I do appreciate the benefits Azure RTOS has over FreeRTOS. Now ST has indicated that it will have both FreeRTOS and Azure RTOS available in their IDE (STM32CubeIDE). I am wondering, if there are any plans for IDF to support Azure RTOS in near future?

WiFive

Re: Azure RTOS on ESP32

Postby WiFive » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:48 am

It would be cool to have threadx aka azure rtos on espressif chips but they would first have to negotiate a hardware platform license with Microsoft and of course do the porting. Maybe Microsoft would be interested in supporting this to drive adoption of azure iot cloud services...not sure what their business model around azure rtos is.

OllieK

Postby OllieK » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:15 am

It is already ported on xtensa xcc port and in that sense, there could be a path forward into IDF and other Espressif platforms.

askpatrickw

Postby askpatrickw » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:10 pm

ESP-IDF on Azure RTOS is something my company (an Azure IoT consulting firm) would also love to see. We have used Espressif in our projects and recommended same for clients. But the Azure RTOS support and certifications is very compelling and we'd love to continue be able to recommend Espressif for Azure IoT.

m.bonIT

Postby m.bonIT » Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:03 pm

Hi,
Has anyone managed to integrate Azure RTOS NetX Duo into the ESP32?
Thanks!