Can't connect to most network

Sett17

Can't connect to most network

Postby Sett17 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:39 pm

Hey, I recently got a few esp32's to use as an IR remote for some appliances.

About a day after I first started doing some webserver stuff I couldn't connect to my home wifi anymore.
For way too many hours now I looked at about the first 2-3 pages of 10 different google searches without much luck!

I tried:
Arduino IDE
different board options, erasing flash and flash the program cleanly
use python REPL
tried multiple networks, 2 regular home wifi router's to which the esp32 can't connect to; and my phone hotspot which works
flawlessy
restarted networks multiple times as well as flashing the esp clean and trying a different one

this started suddenly without me changing really anything.so it shouldn't be some settings in my router

this is what the arduino program spits out with debug level verbose, I am currently running the program with a software reset every 30 second, if the device is not connected. no matter how long it runs, nothing. is also disconnects before it tries to connect.

Code: Select all

*some time passes between each block of 2*
[D][WiFiGeneric.cpp:374] _eventCallback(): Event: 0 - WIFI_READY
[D][WiFiGeneric.cpp:374] _eventCallback(): Event: 2 - STA_START
[D][WiFiGeneric.cpp:374] _eventCallback(): Event: 5 - STA_DISCONNECTED
[W][WiFiGeneric.cpp:391] _eventCallback(): Reason: 2 - AUTH_EXPIRE
[D][WiFiGeneric.cpp:374] _eventCallback(): Event: 5 - STA_DISCONNECTED
[W][WiFiGeneric.cpp:391] _eventCallback(): Reason: 15 - 4WAY_HANDSHAKE_TIMEOUT
I'm really desperate now to really get the wifi connection to work, without it the whole thing is kinda uselesss.

Happy yo give more information, if that's needed!

username

Re: Can't connect to most network

Postby username » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:29 pm

Did you try one of the stock examples without modifying it ?

Sett17

Postby Sett17 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:36 pm

username wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:29 pm
Did you try one of the stock examples without modifying it ?
yep, I changed the credentials of course. Also running stuff like the WifiScan works fine so I can't think it's purely a hardware problem.

username

Postby username » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:18 pm

ok. I am not saying this is the case, but I did run into this type of situation once. Turns out it was my router.
My router though that the constant connection / disconnections was an attack of some sort, and after so many tries it just blocked it.
I then bought a different brand and never had the problem again.
Might be something to look into anyways.

Sett17

Postby Sett17 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:44 pm

username wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:18 pm
ok. I am not saying this is the case, but I did run into this type of situation once. Turns out it was my router.
My router thought that the constant connection/disconnections was an attack of some sort, and after so many tries it just blocked it.
I then bought a different brand and never had the problem again.
Might be something to look into anyway.
that could very well be the case. I just looked through basically all of the Settings of my router, and also the recorded events. Nothing useful there...

Would it be okay for you to say which brand of router you had problems with, and more importantly which worked?

username

Postby username » Sun May 02, 2021 3:28 am

Netgear router but its been a while and I do not remember the model. I now have a TP-Link.
Try rebooting your router to see if you can connect again, then if you cannot after several connects / disconnects you will know its your router that is the problem.

Sett17

Postby Sett17 » Sun May 02, 2021 2:50 pm

username wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 3:28 am
Netgear router but its been a while and I do not remember the model. I now have a TP-Link.
Try rebooting your router to see if you can connect again, then if you cannot after several connects / disconnects you will know its your router that is the problem.
Already tried restarting multiple times. Can't even connect right after I restarted my router.

I am now using my PC hotspot for development luckily my home router is not the deployment environment, but it still sucks.