SPP profile in bluedroid missing?

michbound

SPP profile in bluedroid missing?

Postby michbound » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:04 pm

Hi All,

Trying to understand if the ESP32 bluetooth stack supports SPP profile? I do not see any details in the SDK and the bluedroid source seems to indicate that the SPP profile is not supported?

So just checking if there are plans to support SPP or does it already exist?

Thanks
Jay

michbound

Re: SPP profile in bluedroid missing?

Postby michbound » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:37 am

Anybody have an answer - is anyone from espressif monitoring these forums - I see a number of other posts asking about SPP but so far no official response. Is there another support channel to get answers to such questions?

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:42 am

Ah, must've missed your post. At the moment, ESP-IDF only supports BTLE, and SPP is a BT Classic profile if I'm not mistaken. We'll add BT Classic eventually, but it's not here yet.

madscientist_42

Postby madscientist_42 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:19 pm

ESP_Sprite wrote:Ah, must've missed your post. At the moment, ESP-IDF only supports BTLE, and SPP is a BT Classic profile if I'm not mistaken. We'll add BT Classic eventually, but it's not here yet.
The recurring disconnect is due to the fact that BT Classic support is claimed in the marketing stuff on the company website, coupled with marketing stuff from Espressif and CEVA about what was used to provide the BT/BTLE support in the ESP32.

When you claim that...people expect the original profiles there. I did.

Products typically ship complete with APIs to do this stuff with- or the ability and information to allow a developer to bolt their own stuff on in it's stead. If I didn't know the provenance of part of your chosen IP, I'd be concerned with that shortfall with it shipping without the feature being drivable. As it stands, I'm annoyed a bit by that. Not enough to do anything other than complain off and on about it's non-presence right now- but annoyed all the same.

madscientist_42

Postby madscientist_42 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:22 pm

On a similar note to this comment, I'd like to ping someone with Espressif about something in this space- but is something that should best be kept private right now. How does one get a private conversation going with someone over there on this?

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:22 am

madscientist_42 wrote:On a similar note to this comment, I'd like to ping someone with Espressif about something in this space- but is something that should best be kept private right now. How does one get a private conversation going with someone over there on this?
Feel free to ping me at jeroen at espressif period com; I'll see if I can get it to the right persons.

madscientist_42

Postby madscientist_42 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:09 pm

ESP_Sprite wrote:
madscientist_42 wrote:On a similar note to this comment, I'd like to ping someone with Espressif about something in this space- but is something that should best be kept private right now. How does one get a private conversation going with someone over there on this?
Feel free to ping me at jeroen at espressif period com; I'll see if I can get it to the right persons.
It got answered, thanks! :D

Now on to my own expanding the community the same way Kolban's been doing.

maruder

Postby maruder » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:40 pm

Hi,
I would like to ask if ESP32 already supports SPP profile. If it doesn't, when functioning SPP profile is planned ? Is there any solution/workaround to get emulated serial port using bluetooth ? Thank you in advance for your response.

brill963

Postby brill963 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:26 am

Hi!

I have the same question - are you working on SPP and BT Classic? Is there anything I/we can do to help? (Given the fact that I am new to ESP32, but I definitely can read specs and write code to implement them.)

Thanks, Tomas

squonk11

Postby squonk11 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:23 am

Now there is a BT stack with SPP available: https://github.com/bluekitchen/btstack/ ... port/esp32. It seems to be free for private use only. Did anybody test it?
"Whoever believes to be someone has stopped becoming someone"
Sokrates