Interest in developer preview?

ESP_Sprite

Interest in developer preview?

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:32 pm

Hey guys/gals,

I know some of you are somewhat angry that esp32.com has seemed to be somewhat low on new documentation being sent out. Maybe I have something that might interest you. We have at the moment a snapshot of the SDK that we're releasing as a developer preview to a customer. It's pretty useless without the silicon and a direct copy of what we have in our Git, so very much a work in progress (we can't even guarantee it compiles...) but it will give an idea of what's coming.

Would you be interested in seeing this, given that you probably won't be able to do anything with it yet and we probably won't answer in-depth questions about most parts yet? It would need some time and effort on our part to clean up and upload somewhere, but if there's interest, we're willing to put that in.

WiFive

Re: Interest in developer preview?

Postby WiFive » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:32 pm

Of course. Even being able to study little pieces will help when trying to efficiently develop an application later.

But if you say there's still no Bluetooth stack and a ton of lib.a I might cry. But crying is healthy.

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:40 pm

WiFive wrote:Of course. Even being able to study little pieces will help when trying to efficiently develop an application later.

But if you say there's still no Bluetooth stack and a ton of lib.a I might cry. But crying is healthy.
Sorry, BT stack hasn't been ported over from the ESP31 SDK yet. For the amount of libsomething.a: it should be better than the esp31 sdk... if anything, you get the bootloader, lwip and freertos in source form. We're trying to move from 'closed, unless...' to a model of 'open, unless...', but it takes some time before all code is clean enough (in multiple ways) to open-source.

WiFive

Postby WiFive » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:45 pm

ESP_Sprite wrote:Sorry, BT stack hasn't been ported over from the ESP31 SDK yet. For the amount of libsomething.a: it should be better than the esp31 sdk... if anything, you get the bootloader, lwip and freertos in source form. We're trying to move from 'closed, unless...' to a model of 'open, unless...', but it takes some time before all code is clean enough (in multiple ways) to open-source.
Well there's some good news in there at least.

I don't think we have seen any code or documentation relating to the Bluetooth stack in public esp31 SDK or elsewhere.

Also would like to see details about ULP coprocessor usage.

windalser

Postby windalser » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:44 am

Yes, of course! Especially in BLE.

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:40 am

ESP_Sprite wrote:Hey guys/gals,

I know some of you are somewhat angry that esp32.com has seemed to be somewhat low on new documentation being sent out. Maybe I have something that might interest you. We have at the moment a snapshot of the SDK that we're releasing as a developer preview to a customer. It's pretty useless without the silicon and a direct copy of what we have in our Git, so very much a work in progress (we can't even guarantee it compiles...) but it will give an idea of what's coming.

Would you be interested in seeing this, given that you probably won't be able to do anything with it yet and we probably won't answer in-depth questions about most parts yet? It would need some time and effort on our part to clean up and upload somewhere, but if there's interest, we're willing to put that in.
hi jeroen

the snapshot on sdk is very welcome jeroen - not important cleaned up or cross coments..
without any demanding (BT, CAN, NIC ...and so on) we will take it as it is. that gives us more for what's coming.

deeper questions to this snapshot would be difference to a "released" - because we know then - that is a "snapshot" and we would think on before write questions - but perhabs this question ..hints .. can help the developer team too.

espressif is a hard working team and powered amazings things. we do not want that the team has more work with doing snapshot for us impatient users - but if the team can do "parallel" doing without "morework" to the releasing as a developer preview to a customer for us - that would be great, jeroen.

ESP_Sprite wrote: ... . if anything, you get the bootloader, lwip and freertos in source form. We're trying to move from 'closed, unless...' to a model of 'open, unless...',
nice news, txs

best wishes
rudi ;-)

my wild horses are back in the barn and in the letter.
It's just annoying how some pride in public
as if they know more than any other.
-------------------------------------
love it, change it or leave it.
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

captain_morgan

Postby captain_morgan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:20 am

As usual I'm keen to have an early dig in.
ESP_Sprite wrote:Sorry, BT stack hasn't been ported over from the ESP31 SDK yet.
Was the BT stack ever release for the ESP31? Must have missed it if so. That is also something I'd love to see, especially if it will give an early idea of what the ESP32 stack looks like. I'm currently doing a lot of work with the nRF51822 and would like to compare.

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:16 am

No, the ESP31 BT stack hasn't been publically released, sorry.

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:46 pm

Okay, we released the SDK. As I said, this is just a developer preview and we don't want to create any false expectations here: please assume the code is work-in-progress and we'd appreciate it if it didn't get too much publicity yet. With that said, it gives a very good indication where we want to take the SDK.

Wit that said, the repo is at https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf , and a template project is in https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf-template . As usual, pelase point SDK_PATH to the path you downloaded esp-idf to. FYI, esp-idf stands for Espressif IoT Development Framework. We've decided not to use the SDK term anymore because esp-idf is different enough from the old esp32-rtos-sdk to warrant a new name.

As I said, we don't support anything in this version of the SDK yet. With that being said, if you do have any questions or remarks about things you think we missed, do not hesitate to ask a question here, and I'll see if I can answer it.

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:06 pm

hi jeroen,
txs, nice work
1++

happy to see many things now that was on dreaming.

btw:
one suggestions to users:
dont forget to copy ( or unpack ) the libs to the sdk esp32 components lib folder
and you go on too.

btw2:
if you not have installed,
install python ( 2.7.12 ) and if you use windows check the com name in the esp tool python file.

best wishes
rudi ;-)

well done ! :)
@Ivan nice to see you in espressif team :)
Attachments
first_try.png
first_try.png (291.44 KiB) Viewed 17023 times
love it, change it or leave it.
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪