HSPI and VSPI, meaning thereof?

permal

HSPI and VSPI, meaning thereof?

Postby permal » Tue May 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Hi,

HSPI and VSPI are referenced throughout the documents and this forum, but I've seen no explanation as to what the H and V actually stands for - could someone please enlighten me?

permal

Re: HSPI and VSPI, meaning thereof?

Postby permal » Tue May 23, 2017 7:51 pm

That only states that they're # 2 and #3, not the meaning of H and V, which is what my question is about.

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed May 24, 2017 1:58 am

That's... a good question actually. Will ask the digital guys, maybe they know.

Edit: Sorry, there's no story there... just random designators. If it makes you feel better, I've always thought of them as the High-speed SPI interface and the Very High-speed SPI interface. Not that the speed actually differs between SPI interfaces, but hey :)

WiFive

Postby WiFive » Wed May 24, 2017 4:09 am

Nah, I don't believe it. There's probably some chip designers named harry and victor. :P

permal

Postby permal » Wed May 24, 2017 7:50 pm

Ok thanks, now I can stop trying to make sense of the names, and just accept them as-is.

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu May 25, 2017 1:53 am

WiFive wrote:Nah, I don't believe it. There's probably some chip designers named harry and victor. :P
I know you're jesting, but it's actually pretty unlikely that they are names... Afaik, all the digital design guys are Chinese, and I assume that if they'd taken a name to use the initial of, they would have taken the Pinyin of their Chinese name as a starting point. Thing is, there's no V in Pinyin.

jw--rt

Postby jw--rt » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:02 pm

Hello all,

I stumbled upon this thread, trying to get my SD card running on the HSPI ports, before reading that GPIO12 has to be pulled low on my devkit board (ESP32 Wroom32), which is not compatible with SD card operation (See https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... ments.html).

Anyhow, if there is no difference between HSPI and VSPI, could anyone kindly explain to me, how this nice gentleman was able to accelerate his SPI display by a factor of 12? Please see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFjYQMAUDjw

Thank you very much.

JW

ESP_Angus

Postby ESP_Angus » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:24 am

jw--rt wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:02 pm
Anyhow, if there is no difference between HSPI and VSPI, could anyone kindly explain to me, how this nice gentleman was able to accelerate his SPI display by a factor of 12? Please see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFjYQMAUDjw
This is a different meaning of the acronym HSPI. The video is comparing Hardware SPI ("HSPI") with Software SPI (bit-banging GPIOs). Actually the video description says that the Hardware SPI implementation is using the VSPI peripheral of the chip... :)

jw--rt

Postby jw--rt » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:06 pm

Hello all,

Then I misinterpreted HSPI as "hardware" SPI and VSPI as "virtual" a.k.a. "software" SPI which is in reality totally _not_ true. :shock:

Both, HSPI and VSPI are fast ports, is this correct? :D

Sorry for wasting your time