[Documentation Release] ESP32 Technical Reference

ESP_Sprite

[Documentation Release] ESP32 Technical Reference

Postby ESP_Sprite » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:59 am

ESP32 technical Reference Manual

This is the first version of the document, containing info about System,Memory, Reset and Clocks, and a register-level description of the IO mux, GPIO matrix, LED PWM controller, remote controller peripherial, pulse counter, 64-bit timers, watchdog timers and the AES and SHA accelerators. Later versions will contain more peripherals and information.

Any feedback to this document (keeping in mind it still is missing peripherals and chapters) is appreciated; feel free to post it here.

rudi ;-)

Re: [Documentation Release] ESP32 Technical Reference

Postby rudi ;-) » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:56 pm

at first!
congratulations! detailed master work!
personally like the details system address mapping and i am sure, ( study just in time this first chapter )
the rest will it be topped. 121 sides :) - the tropical "bavarian" 38° weekend is saved -
you are welcome!

best wishes
rudi ;-)
-------------------------------------
love it, change it or leave it.
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:33 pm

[legwork note]

S. 14 , last words..
1.3.3 External Memory
up to 16 MB External Flash and 8 MB External SRAM.

not sure, but think we have 4 MB External SRAM with Table 4: External Memory Address Mapping on Side 15 on Top.
Data 0x3F40_0000 0x3F7F_FFFF 4 MB External Flash Read
Data 0x3F80_0000 0x3FBF_FFFF 4 MB External SRAM Read and Write

but read, When a CPU accesses external memory through the Cache and MMU, the cache will map the CPU’s address to an
external physical memory address (in the external memory’s address space), according to the MMU settings. Due
to this address mapping, the ESP32 can address up to 16 MB External Flash and 8 MB External SRAM.

@WiFive
where we get the 64 mbit sram now :)
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

jmattsson

Postby jmattsson » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:39 am

Great start!

Feedback/Qs so far:

How does an external 16 MB flash get mapped into a 11512 KB window?

Typo: WDU => WPD ?

Fuhua Chen

Postby Fuhua Chen » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:15 am

:D :D :D
I was supposed to use STM32F407 for a audio board, but now, i am very looking forward to the ESP32

laserguy

Postby laserguy » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:18 am

Going to the link above, I got a 404 Error (file not found). :(

However, looking through their site, I found this new one - 8-)

https://espressif.com/sites/default/fil ... l_en_0.pdf

ESP Technical Reference Manual, V1.0, dated Sept. 7, 2016, 126 pages long.

Their page linking to it claims -
"ESP32 Technical Reference Manual targets application developers. The manual provides detailed and complete information on how to use the ESP32 memory and peripherals."
Not sure how true that last bit is at this early stage :roll: (for example, BLE is not even mentioned in the Table of Contents!), but I am curious how this version of the manual compares with the earlier one folks here downloaded from the now-broken link?

BTW, anyone know of a good src f/modules yet?

Has Espressif released an official module/development board for this yet?

Someone mentioned Seeed Studio - but looking at their site, a pre-order placed today won't get shipped until sometime around Halloween! :shock: (they also appear to have skimped on some of the pins - ALL of the I/O pins in the VDD_SDIO section of the Pin Description table in the datasheet seem to be MIA?)

Already waited almost a year for this module, my patience has about reached its limit.

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:02 pm

laserguy wrote:
Going to the link above, I got a 404 Error (file not found). :(

However, looking through their site, I found this new one - 8-)

ESP Technical Reference Manual, V1.0, dated Sept. 7, 2016, 126 pages long.
just tested - the link is ok.
you can test without secure:
http://espressif.com/sites/default/file ... l_en_0.pdf
laserguy wrote:
Their page linking to it claims -
"ESP32 Technical Reference Manual targets application developers. The manual provides detailed and complete information on how to use the ESP32 memory and peripherals."
Not sure how true that last bit is at this early stage :roll: (for example, BLE is not even mentioned in the Table of Contents!), but I am curious how this version of the manual compares with the earlier one folks here downloaded from the now-broken link?
This "detailed and complete information" ESP32 Technical Reference Manual is constantly being expanded with more detailed and complete information. You see the Revisions No# on the Change History.

Just in time the Version from 7 September 2016 is: 2016.08 V1.0 Initial release.

If BLE or other not detailed Information is in the Technical Reference Manual just in time - they will be updated in the next or over next Revision - follow the Index of Revision to the Document. There are allways more and more details in next Revisions on the Technical Reference Manual Document next times and the Manual gets more sides.
laserguy wrote:
BTW, anyone know of a good src f/modules yet?
Has Espressif released an official module/development board for this yet?
WROOM-32 comes
laserguy wrote:
Someone mentioned Seeed Studio - but looking at their site, a pre-order placed today won't get shipped until sometime around Halloween! :shock: (they also appear to have skimped on some of the pins - ALL of the I/O pins in the VDD_SDIO section of the Pin Description table in the datasheet seem to be MIA?)

Already waited almost a year for this module, my patience has about reached its limit.
ESP32-D0WDQ6 was released 1St September 2016 - so the first batch is going to producer and then there are Modules on to produce.
There are named release date from producer on 29 September or 20 September .. they all start modul producing just in time.

We wait for the modul too :)

hope this helps.

best wishes
rudi ;-)
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

laserguy

Postby laserguy » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:09 pm

"the link is ok"
That is incorrect.

The link in the first post by ESP_Sprite goes here -

https://espressif.com/sites/default/fil ... ual_en.pdf

That link is indeed now broken, with or without https (try it for yourself!)

The link that I posted in my prior comment is the NEW one I found after I got this error, and then went searching for this document on their web site. I posted it here so that people who were trying to view this file, and got this same error I did when they tried to click on his link, would know where they could now find this document. ;)
"WROOM-32 comes"
When???

The external circuitry needed for an ESP32 is EXTREMELY simple, similar to an ESP8266 -

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Ho0AAOSwF ... -l1600.jpg

and was known by both Espressif and the vendors before the chip was even available!

I thus expected Espressif to have at least a basic module for use by developers by the time they FINALLY publicly released the chip, and (particularly given the intense interest in this product), for multiple 3rd-party vendors to have their own versions of simple modules out (and on eBay) fairly rapidly thereafter.

Instead, I only found one company that is making an ESP-32 module?, and it appears they may be having trouble keeping up with demand?

This is what Seeed Studio (who carries that product) is now saying on their web site -
"Dear Customers,

The first batch of the ESP3212 (600pcs) has been sold out!

Orders placed before 18:00(UTC+ 8), 6th Sept, will be shipped around 23rd Sept.

The second batch (3000pcs) has also been sold out!

Due to China National Holiday, orders placed between 18:00(UTC+ 8), 6th Sept and 18:00(UTC+ 8), 8th Sept, are estimated to be shipped around 10th Oct.

Orders placed after 18:00(UTC+ 8), 8th Sept, are estimated to be shipped around 25th Oct."
Seeed Studio is also selling it on eBay (for higher $), and claiming an estimated delivery in NOVEMBER! :shock:

Where is WROOM-32, and where are the other (English-speaking) vendors? It would be nice to be able to get an ESP32 module before I actually have to start worrying about additional shipping delays due to people doing online Christmas shopping!!! :roll:
Attachments
Espressif-404-Error.PNG
Espressif-404-Error.PNG (407.68 KiB) Viewed 54158 times

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:09 pm

laserguy wrote:
"the link is ok"
That is incorrect.

The link in the first post by ESP_Sprite goes here -

That link is indeed now broken, with or without https (try it for yourself!)
the link you spotted in your prior post with "_0" before dot pdf - this i have tested. so i wrote to you, the link is ok.
you didn't spot to ESP_Sprite post in your prior post.

if you compare the links:

preview ( 26 August 2016 ) 121 sides

resource part ( 7 September 2016 ) 126 sides:

you see that the first is without _0 at the end. ( preview version, spotted from ESP_Sprite you spotted 121 sides)
ESP_Sprite spot was a preview ( 121 sides ) for us here until they do this with 5 sides more in the resource part, now renamed to _0 at the end. nothing mysterious.

because the link is in the resource part , searching user find the actually version under
http://espressif.com/en/products/hardwa ... /resources
and the pagetab "Technical References"

i think - this you mean with "However, looking through their site, I found this new one"

laserguy wrote:
"WROOM-32 comes"
When???
your keyboard jammed?

asap

There is a knowing saying,
if impatient constantly asking when the child is born.
"When it is baked it is finished"
:lol:
laserguy wrote:
The external circuitry needed ......
Instead, I only found one company that is making an ESP-32 module?.......

This is what Seeed Studio (who carries that product) is now saying on their web site - ...

Where is WROOM-32, .......
the demand is just enormous.

the 1 st chip release - not a module - but the chip -
was on 1 september

i think, why more time is not there so many module manufacturers, is because
that the mass production of chips is only begun. and they know, without chips they can't build modules.

as you yourself write, all pre-order on Steam are traveled out of pre-orders.

yes you are right, the design is simple - and every "baked" child can design esp32 modules.. :)
but..

the chip production is a predefined fixed expiration - comply with the specific time processes has in production - because you can not just set a potimeter to let machine run faster. Good things need time. We are all waiting for "esp fodder" - the chip itself - for marry our designed boards - i am too.

I can reassure you, personally I reckon before christmas so.
:mrgreen:

best wishes
rudi ;-)

where are you come from?
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:01 am

hi guys